Arizona Government Affairs Manager
Remotely from the Phoenix metropolitan area or can be based in WRA’s Phoenix office
Type of Job
Jan 12, 2022
About the job
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) seeks a Government Affairs Manager to support our legislative, regulatory, and administrative advocacy efforts in Arizona. This role will report to the Government Affairs Director and work closely with WRA’s program staff to advance innovative legislative and administrative policy solutions critical to addressing the state’s most pressing conservation challenges. The Arizona Government Affairs Manager will focus on advancing policies related to climate and clean energy. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated strategic thinker who possesses sound judgment, strong decision-making skills, and political acumen.
The position can work remotely from the Phoenix metropolitan area or can be based in WRA’s Phoenix office; or a hybrid of the two. WRA employees are encouraged to work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. After the pandemic, some travel to WRA’s Phoenix office and within Arizona will be required for collaboration with WRA staff and stakeholders as well as interactions with decision-makers.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Work collaboratively with WRA’s program and communications staff to develop and implement advocacy efforts focused on reaching legislative, municipal, regulatory, and administrative decision makers in Arizona.
- In coordination with program staff, read and analyze the potential impact of proposed legislation and administrative policies.
- Monitor and track relevant state and local policies.
- Build relationships with elected leaders and other decision-makers, and serve as a liaison between them and WRA staff.
- Identify, recruit and organize a diverse group of opinion leaders in the state to engage with decision makers in support of WRA’s policies and positions.
- Identify and manage effective coalitions of diverse partners in the region to advance WRA’s mission.
- Occasional travel to meetings and events, generally within Arizona (post COVID-19).
STRATEGIC ADVOCACY EXPERIENCE
- Proven experience developing and executing government affairs, external affairs, communications, or advocacy campaigns.
- Understanding of, and familiarity with, Arizona politics and policy makers, especially as they relate to the topics of energy, electric utilities, and/or climate change.
- Experience building coalitions with diverse stakeholders to advance public policy objectives with decision makers.
- Ability to apply both oral and written communication skills to persuade, influence, or lead others on complex subjects.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and follow‐through.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range for this position is $70,000-$90,000; salary depends on relevant experience and new staff rarely start at the top of the range. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave, and sabbatical leave after five years. WRA’s offices are closed December 25 – January 1. Position is full-time exempt.