Aquatic Resources Member - Blue Ridge Parkway
Asheville, NC (potential to be remote hybrid)
Type of Job
May 19, 2022
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience (ACE), a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), is seeking ONE Aquatic Resources Member to assist the Blue Ridge Parkway staff in drafting sections of the environmental consequences for an Environmental Assessment (EA).
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/790149.html
Start Date: July 17, 2022 (flexibility is available)
End Date: October 29, 2022 (or 15 weeks after start date)
* A 15-week minimum commitment is required *
Location: Asheville, NC with the potential to be remote/hybrid. Candidates must be able to access the Parkway for fieldwork.
Blue Ridge Parkway Background: The Blue Ridge National Parkway is more than just a road, this varied habitat travels 469 miles through the southern Appalachian region, ranging from 649 feet at James River in Virginia to 6,047 feet at Richland Balsam in North Carolina, offers protection to an enormous diversity of plants and animals, as well as a wealth of cultural resources and history. Stretching from Shenandoah National Park to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Parkway contains a diverse range of cultural resources, including 91 buildings, 2 sites, and 133 other structures that contribute to the Parkway's eligibility for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a park steeped in tradition and recognized worldwide as a crossroads of natural and cultural richness. The Parkway serves to tie together a diverse landscape and lifestyle- connecting the past with the present and preserving the region's heritage for the future.
To learn more about the Blue Ridge Parkway, please visit the NPS website at: http://www.nps.gov/blri.
Living Allowance: ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $720/week to offset the costs of food, housing, and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
Housing: Housing is the responsibility of the member and not provided by ACE or NPS.
This position will be based out of Asheville, NC, but will have the potential to be remote/hybrid. Candidates must be able to access the Parkway for fieldwork.
The primary duties of this position will be to assist the Blue Ridge Parkway staff in drafting sections of the environmental consequences for an EA for the site's Wetland Management Plan. The position will also involve some fieldwork to investigate culverts near wetlands to determine if they are passable or perched. Other field duties may be assigned as time allows.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a hiring authority upon completion of their term of service.
- Members must be US citizen or Permanent Resident, as required to comply with U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or have requested and been granted a medical or religious exemption to vaccination by the time they start their term.
- Must be able to communicate technical subject matter to non-technical public and staff.
- Knowledge of computers and typical Word processing software.
- Competitive applicants will have a degree (or be pursuing a degree) in fisheries and wildlife management, ecology, natural resource management, parks and recreation or other related disciplines appropriate to the position. A combination of relevant education and appropriate experience is also acceptable.
- Experience with Natural Resource Management Plans
- Experience with technical and nontechnical writing
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/790149.html
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact EPIC NPS Recruitment Specialist, Shannon Borowy at email@example.com.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.