Applied Forest Ecologist
New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
Jan 3, 2022
About the job
Join the Mohonk Preserve Team!
Applied Forest Ecologist – Full-time
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields, and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals.
About the Position:
As a core member of the Conservation Programs department, the Applied Forest Ecologist is responsible for working with staff in Mohonk Preserve’s Conservation Programs and Land Stewardship departments and other key stakeholders to set climate-adaptive forest management goals, design forest management plans, and coordinate the implementation and evaluation of forest management activities.
This position participates actively in departmental initiatives and outreach to advance the Preserve’s mission.
The Applied Forest Ecologist reports to the Director of Conservation Programs.
Full time (40 hours per week), Regular, Exempt
Upper $50s per year; Mohonk Preserve membership for the duration of the position.
· Develop and implement climate-adaptive forest management plans based on Mohonk Preserve’s core values and the best available scientific information. Coordinate with Mohonk Preserve Stewardship staff and contractors as needed.
· Implement techniques to measure and monitor deer, invasive species, recreational and other impacts in high priority, sensitive forested areas. Explore cost-effective methods to inventory and monitor ecological resources throughout the entire Preserve.
· Coordinate with and support the Research Ecologist in the collection of forest health data.
· Serve as the program coordinator for Mohonk Preserve's hunting-based Deer Management Program.
· Coordinate with the Land Protection & Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager to effectively use spatial data to support forest management goals.
· Contribute to the maintenance of up-to-date land management plans and evaluation of the potential impact of current and proposed land uses.
· Lead public programs and volunteer activities that engage the community in forest management and habitat conservation and build support for Mohonk Preserve’s forest management goals.
· Work with Mohonk Preserve’s Research Associates and other scholars and practitioners to leverage the best available scientific information to inform the Preserve’s forest management goals, plans and actions.
· Supervise and mentor seasonal field technicians and interns, with oversight and in coordination with the Director of Conservation Programs.
· Participate in fundraising activities and grant proposal development to support the Preserve’s climate-adaptive forest management activities.
· Perform other related duties to support the Conservation Programs department and Preserve as assigned by the Director of Conservation Programs.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Master’s degree in Ecology, Biology, Forestry, Climate Science, Natural Resource Management or related field and 3+ years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Knowledge of leading trends in climate science and forest management.
· Demonstrated enthusiasm for science-driven land management.
· Experience developing forest management plans.
· Familiarity with forest management techniques (e.g., silviculture, prescribed burns, grazing regimes, stand inventory, habitat restoration, vegetation community assessment) and equipment.
· Ability to inspire and work with staff, Board of Directors, researchers, community partners, and volunteers.
· Proven ability to set and implement priorities, manage multiple projects, and evaluate project success.
· Excellent communication abilities including written, oral, and presentation skills; experience communicating with partner organizations.
· Willingness to work occasional irregular hours, including some weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
- Ability to navigate and traverse, at times in deep backcountry, in off-trail land conditions, sometimes in extremely rugged mountain terrain while carrying equipment for up to eight hours at a time in all weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license; clean driving record; ability to pass background check.
- Bonus skills:
- Strong knowledge of regional flora and fauna
- Experience conducting environmental field research
- Familiarity with Lidar, ortho-imagery, and remote-sensing data tools and analysis
- Experience with intern, student and/or volunteer management
- Quantitative data analysis skills
- ArcGIS proficiency
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. This position will be based out of the Preserve’s Daniel Smiley Research Center (DSRC) on the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House resort. Mohonk Preserve offers hybrid work schedules at this time – coordinated with their supervisor and depending on the job, staff may be able to split time working remotely, as well as in the office and in-person on the land. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
- Health, Life, Disability Insurance
- Dental & Vision Plans
- 403B Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Annuity available upon hire
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Paid Vacation and 12 ½ paid Holidays
- Sick Time (60 days) and Personal Days (3 days)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistant Program
- Comp and Flex Time
- Access to lands and activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask while working indoors, including in all Preserve facilities and while working outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing. Regular testing may be required for the unvaccinated. In addition, at this time and until CDC recommendations change, all staff in counties the CDC identifies as having “substantial” and “high” COVID transmission rates must wear masks indoors (unless alone in a closed office) and outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing regardless of vaccination status. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
· Frequently uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
· Frequently works outdoors
· May require standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
· Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (include phone and email) by January 14, 2022 to: email@example.com
The anticipated start date of this position is early March 2022.
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
PO Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12525 | 845.255.0919 | mohonkpreserve.org