Analytical Lab Manager
Type of Job
Aug 17, 2021
About the job
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Loyola University Chicago’s (LUC) School of Environmental Sustainability (SES) invites applications for a full-time Analytical Laboratory Manager staff position beginning in September 2021 or soon after. The SES seeks to diversify its staff and is particularly encouraging underrepresented minorities, women, and people with disabilities to apply. We are seeking candidates who can manage laboratory safety and compliance in two shared research labs and two shared teaching labs, run and maintain analytical instruments in these labs, and train faculty and students on the use and care of the instruments. Technical expertise in laboratory safety and the use and maintenance of analytical instrumentation are required. Experiential expertise in measurements of air, water and soil chemistry including nutrients and pollutants are all desirable. Preferred applicants will be motivated to advance the SES mission.
Loyola University Chicago is committed to environmental sustainability, having transformed its campuses to meet energy, water, and waste efficiencies that have consistently ranked the University in the top 5% of green campuses nationally. The School of Environmental Sustainability (SES) is the newest School at Loyola University Chicago, and is focused on education, research and the practice of environmental sustainability. The new SES currently serves 380 undergraduate and 70 graduate students, and is housed within a state-of-the-art geothermally heated/cooled building complex containing a 3,100 sq ft greenhouse, two aquaponics facilities, a biodiesel production facility, teaching & research labs, environmental analytical lab, ecotoxicology lab, and a green dormitory. The campus prioritizes sustainability with energy efficient LEED certified buildings, permeable pavement, green roof installations, and student-run urban gardens supplying the LUC Farmer’s Market. The Loyola University Retreat & Ecology Campus (LUREC) has a wetland restoration project in a 20-acre wetland, a 5-acre organic farm, and is a venue for three-week summer field courses and for faculty and student research in sustainable agriculture, ecology, and wetland restoration. For more information about SES, please see our website.
The School of Environmental Sustainability seeks an engaged and experienced Analytical Lab Manager to coordinate research and laboratory teaching activities in our shared research and teaching facilities including laboratory safety and compliance, maintaining analytical instrumentation, and training faculty and students on the use of analytical instruments. The position will report directly to the Dean and will work closely with research and teaching faculty. Specific duties of the position include:
- Lab Safety and Compliance – Working directly with the office of the VP for Research to follow all laboratory safety protocols. Enrolling all PIs and student researchers in annual lab safety training and refresher courses, updating chemical and biohazardous materials inventories, managing hazmat waste inventories and scheduling waste pick-ups. Reporting any problems or concerns to the Dean.
- Analytical Instrumentation Maintenance – Maintenance, repair, and calibration of over $2.5M of analytical instruments shared by SES researchers for measuring nutrients, toxins and greenhouses gases in air, water, soil, and plant samples, as well as human urine and blood samples. Analytical instrumentation includes Perkin Elmer ICP-MS, Agilent HPLC-MS, Thermo Carbon Nitrogen Analyzer, Shimadzu GC – greenhouse gas analysis, Shimadzu TOC analyzer, Lachat Quikchem Nutrients Analyzer Triple Quadrupole GC/MS/MS, various scales, incubators, drying ovens and muffle furnaces. The Analytical Lab Manager will schedule the use of shared instruments for classes and research.
- Managing Shared Laboratory Space – In shared research and shared teaching labs, keeping track of space utilization, facilitating the use of shared space most efficiently and effectively, implementing standard operating procedures for the use of shared space and instruments, organizing the flow of work in sample processing, maintaining order, cleanliness and safety in all laboratories.
- Instrumentation-Use Training – Training of faculty, graduate and undergraduate students on the proper use of instruments in research, and how to interpret results. Conducting analysis of samples for SES faculty PIs, and conducting demonstration laboratory analyses for some classes.
- Formal Teaching – An option for this position, depending on the candidate’s qualifications, includes teaching an environmental chemistry course with a lab component for advanced undergraduate and graduate students.
The position is available September 15, 2021. Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
LINK TO POSTING:
Please address questions to:
Dr. James Johnson, Chair of Search Committee
School of Environmental Sustainability
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Rd.
Chicago, IL 60660