Administrative Assistant I
Los Angeles, CA
Type of Job
$17.24 - $20.95
Sep 16, 2022
About the job
Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority is recruiting for an Administrative Assistant to perform general clerical work and assist with division administrative tasks. Work will focus on the prompt and accurate completion of timesheets, expense reports and other forms for 20-30 employees assigned to multiple locations to ensure compliance with agency procedure and obstacle-free financial processing. Moderate proficiency in Spanish (verbal) is highly desired.
Applications for this position are only accepted online at https://www.calopps.org/mountains-recreation-conservation-authority. Please contact us at email@example.com you need an accommodation in the recruitment process. Learn more about joining the MRCA team athttps://mrca.ca.gov/about/employment/.
This is administrative support work in an office setting, including communicating with public visitors and callers, for a person at entry-level. The work performed will support the Operation Division's management and patrol of nature parks within greater Los Angeles, and other efforts related to public access, open space conservation, and public safety.
This position reports to the Division Chief. Assorted tasks may be supervised by other division staff. The position supervises no other staff, and generally works independently but in frequent communication with coworkers and supervisors.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Assist the Division Chief with administrative tasks.
- Coordinate timely submission of timesheets, expense reports (credit cards) and payment requests from a variety of employees to Executive Staff. Cross-check accounting/billing codes on various forms prepared by others and verify documentation is present. Follow up on unanswered inquiries related to such forms and documentation.
- Communicate frequently and cordially with other staff and follow up on unanswered inquiries in a professional manner.
- Independently compose a variety of documents which may include confidential material, including general correspondence, agendas, staff reports, resolutions and memoranda. Write status reports and other documents to reflect quarterly expenditures and work completed.
- Keep a variety of reports updated on an ongoing basis, including status of specific operations, crew activities, volunteer data, and other items as needed.
- Serve as a contact for callers and public inquiries. Respond to requests for information and complaints; interpret and explain regulations, procedures, etc. in response to inquiries and complaints; research and gather information to provide accurate answers and information; refer technical issues to appropriate staff.
- Maintain meticulous files, including documentation of and authorization for expenses, project reports, contracts, contacts, and correspondence; follow established filing and record-keeping systems with a high degree of accuracy.
- Prepare Requests for Proposals/Requests for Bids, and review bids. Select and manage contractors and consultants in conjunction with other staff. Ensure bidding process meets applicable regulations. Assist with estimating and selection of vendors for best value.
- Manage recordkeeping for out-of-area incident call-outs, including communication logs, time cards, expenses and equipment usage.
- Set up meetings and video-conference calls, including notifying participants, reserving sites/times, providing support materials, and preparing conference room and equipment.
- Maintain up-to-date reference lists of accounting codes for use with timesheets and expenses.
- Demonstrate good habits of answering and responding to incoming telephone calls, correspondence, and when communicating and providing customer service to citizens who seek assistance.
- Maintain positive relationships with coworkers, representatives of other government agencies, non-profit organizations, homeowner’s associations, and the public at large.
- Perform related duties as required.
- As needed and on short-term temporary basis, substitute for other administrative roles including but not limited to the Executive Officer's Assistant and facility Receptionist/Admin Assistant.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position, occasionally move about inside the office to access supplies and office machinery, frequently communicate and exchange information, review handwritten, electronic and facsimile documents, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery. The employee must occasionally move items weighing up to 20 pounds inside the office. MRCA offices are spread among multiple buildings and floors and may require traveling up/down steps.
Required Hours and Location
Will work a 9/80 alternative work schedule with some scheduling flexibility, 40 hours per week. Occasional overtime work in evenings or weekends upon prior approval by supervisor. The position will work out of a primary office location but may be required to travel to various other locations as needed to coordinate division activities. A hybrid/remote schedule may be allowed, subject to supervisor approval.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and Experience
- Some college; strongly prefer a minimum of an Associate’s Degree. One year of relevant experience may be substituted for each year of required education.
- One (1) year performing clerical duties.
Training and Certification
- Must have a valid California driver’s license in good standing with a satisfactory driving record at the time of hire.
- Basic First Aid and CPR certification (or ability to complete within 6 months).
- Intermediate proficiency with Office 365 and email, including Word and Excel.
- Use of Adobe Sign to gather signatures and compile documentation, or ability to learn immediately.
- Proficiency in basic mathematics, as applied to expense reports and timesheets.
- Office practices and procedures.
- Bilingual skills in English and Spanish is highly desired.
- Proper completion of State and Federal forms related to incident call-out reimbursements (or ability to learn immediately).
- Prioritize varying tasks and projects, manage time, and make regular, consistent progress on multiple projects at once.
- Handle confidential information according to procedures.
- Cooperate with coworkers and revise approach as needed to accommodate concerns.
- Work independently.
- Must be organized with meticulous attention to detail.
- Complete projects and follow oral and written directions.
- Quickly change tasks and focus.
- Consistently follow agency procedures.
- Exercise discretion and sensitivity to confidential information.
- Read maps and navigate through greater Los Angeles, in both urban developed and undeveloped open space areas.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills. Not required to be a native English speaker, but fluency in English will berequired.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted in the course of work including the general public.
- Emotional maturity; tact and diplomacy; poise and self-confidence.
This job announcement is not intended to, and does not, create an employment contract of any kind and does not create any express or implied contractual obligations. Employment at MRCA is at-will without exception. The employee and MRCA may terminate employment at any time with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Any provision contained in this job announcement may be modified or revoked at any time without notice.