Administrative and Operations Coordinator/Associate, Energy and Environment
Type of Job
The minimum salary for the Administrative and Operations Coordinator position is $51,000, and the minimum salary for the Administrative and Operations Associate position is $54,000.
Sep 13, 2022
About the job
Reports to: Senior Director, Strategy and Philanthropic Partnerships
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Energy and Environment
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $51,000/54,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Administrative and Operations Coordinator or Associate in its Energy and Environment department. The department’s work focuses on several priority areas, including advancing progressive policies that will address the climate crisis while creating good jobs and tackling environmental injustice; strengthening international partnerships to ensure concerted global climate action; pushing ambitious conservation policies that will address the climate and nature crises; and driving the narrative that bold climate and conservation action tangibly benefits the lives of all Americans.
The Administrative and Operations Coordinator or Associate Coordinator will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the department’s policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The Coordinator or Associate will support the Senior Director of Strategy and Philanthropic Partnerships with strategic planning and project management for the Energy and Environment department and American Progress’ crosscutting priority to tackle climate change and environmental injustice. This person will also assist the Senior Vice President for Energy and Environment with scheduling, event coordination, and administrative tasks. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, responsible, and proactive individual on whom the policy staff can rely to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and operational support.
- Serve as confidential assistant to the Senior Vice President and Senior Director of Strategy and Philanthropic Partnerships, maintaining strict confidence on sensitive matters.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences, and coordinate staff and visitor travel for the Energy and Environment department, primarily the Senior Vice President and Senior Director of Strategy and Philanthropic Partnerships.
- Track and help report on metrics associated with the Energy and Environment department and cross-team work plans.
- Provide project management of cross-team collaborations, including facilitating cross-team meetings, note-taking, and ensuring follow-up on next steps and critical tasks.
- Develop briefing and presentation materials in advance of team lead appointments.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files.
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, invitations, memos, and other documents.
- Identify opportunities to develop or build external partnerships.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences as needed.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Travel up to 10 percent of working hours, when needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Commitment to progressive values, including environmental and social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- One to two years of professional experience providing administrative support to a senior leader for the Coordinator position and two to four years of experience for the Associate position.
- An associate degree in business administration or management may be used as a substitute for the required years of experience at the Coordinator level; a bachelor’s degree may be used for the Associate level.
- Advanced project management skills and aptitude to mitigate challenges, problem solve, and move quickly to implement solutions.
- A drive and interest in taking things on through independent initiative, with direction sought as needed.
- Strong ability to plan ahead, prioritize, allocate time, multitask, and coordinate with diverse internal and external partners.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the department’s overall administrative organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
The following are not required but are a plus:
- Data analytical skills.
- Experience with grassroots and/or nonprofit organizations.
- Experience staffing C-suite executives.
- Experience with leaders engaged in coalition work or government.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 union. The minimum salary for the Administrative and Operations Coordinator position is $51,000, and the minimum salary for the Administrative and Operations Associate position is $54,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Please apply through our website: https://www.americanprogress.org/job/administrative-and-operations-coordinator-associate-energy-and-environment/