Accounts Payable Specialist
Los Angeles, CA
Type of Job
$20.40 - $24.80
Jul 28, 2022
About the job
The MRCA is recruiting for an Accounts Payable Specialist to ensure the accuracy of the agency's financial documents for payment, auditing and tax purposes, and will practice effective monitoring to ensure payments are made to vendors in a timely manner.
Applications for this position are accepted online at https://www.calopps.org/mountains-recreation-conservation-authority. Please contact us at email@example.com you need an accommodation in the recruitment process. Learn more about joining the MRCA team athttps://mrca.ca.gov/about/employment/.
This is highly technical and professional work with grants and contracts for a person at an intermediate level. The work performed will support MRCA’s operation of nature parks within greater Los Angeles, land acquisition and capital improvement Workprograms, and other efforts related to public access, open space conservation, habitat restoration, and urban park development.
This position reports to the Accounting Supervisor. Assorted tasks may be supervised by the Division Chief. The position supervises no other staff, and generally works as part of a team of 10 coworkers.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Receive and review payment requisitions.
- Maintain copies of vouchers, invoices or correspondence necessary for files.
- Clarify any questionable invoice items, prices, receiving, coding and audit compliance.
- Review and verify all agency credit card transactions.
- Prepare and process Purchase Orders as needed.
- Provide support to staff with backup documentation, forms and procedures.
- Maintain assorted worksheets for recurring monthly expenses and credit card statements.
- Organize and track document flow in and out of department.
- Ensure agency against unintentional overpayment.
- Submit monthly financial warrant disbursements.
- Recommend process improvements to Finance Division Management for consideration and implementation.
- Analyze, verify and obtain payment approvals for invoices.
- Work closely with vendors and other stakeholders.
- Maintain good habits of answering and responding to incoming telephone calls, correspondence, and when communicating and providing customer service to citizens who seek assistance.
- Maintain positive relationships with coworkers, representatives of other government agencies, non-profit organizations, homeowner’s associations, and the public at large.
- Perform related duties as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position, occasionally move about inside the office to access supplies and office machinery, frequently communicate and exchange information, review handwritten, electronic and facsimile documents, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery. The employee must occasionally move items weighing up to 20 pounds inside the office.
Required Hours and Location
Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week with some scheduling flexibility. Occasional overtime work in evenings or weekends upon prior approval by supervisor. The position will work out of the River Center but may be required to travel to various other locations. Offices at the River Center are spread among multiple buildings and floors.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and Experience
- B.A. or B.S. degree, preferred. One year of relevant experience may be substituted for each year of required education.
- Two (2) years performing office-related duties.
- Experience in ERP systems helpful.
Training and Certification
- Must have a valid California driver’s license in good standing with a satisfactory driving record at the time of hire.
- Basic First Aid and CPR certification (or ability to complete within 6 months).
- Intermediate proficiency with Office 365 and email, with particular emphasis on word-processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Office practices and procedures.
- Bilingual skills in English and another locally common language, such as Spanish, is desired.
- Prioritize varying tasks and projects, manage time, and make regular, consistent progress on multiple projects at once.
- Cooperate with coworkers and revise project approach as needed to accommodate concerns.
- Work independently, or as part of a team.
- Must be highly organized with meticulous attention to detail.
- Revise work approach to address changed conditions.
- Complete projects and follow oral and written directions.
- Quickly change tasks and focus.
- Consistently follow agency procedures.
- Exercise discretion and sensitivity to confidential information.
- Work independently to handle multiple tasks under deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills. Not required to be a native English speaker, but fluency in English will be required.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted in the course of work including the general public.
This job announcement is not intended to, and does not, create an employment contract of any kind and does not create any express or implied contractual obligations. Employment at MRCA is at-will without exception. The employee and MRCA may terminate employment at any time with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Any provision contained in this job announcement may be modified or revoked at any time without notice.