Accounts Payable Processor
Type of Job
Jan 11, 2023
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The National Wildlife Federation believes that in order to save wildlife and ourselves, we need to ensure that everyone in America has clean air and water, safe communities, easy and equitable access to the daily benefits of nature, and protection from the ravages of climate change.
This position is a member of the Accounts Payable team, reporting to the Accounts Payable Supervisor, and is primarily responsible for processing, within the National Wildlife Federation’s (NWF) established policies and procedures, invoices, purchase order payments, expense reimbursements and charges made through NWF’s corporate card program. In addition to these responsibilities, the position also participates in A/P cross training and provides back up support for other A/P functions. Interacts with vendors and NWF staff on a daily basis, and works with every department within NWF in order to process payments efficiently, accurately and in a timely manner. Participates in process improvement and the maintenance of a strong level of internal controls. The position requires excellent customer service and communication skills.
Principal Duties (major areas of responsibility):
- Review and categorize invoices for processing according to payment priority. Review invoices for authorized signature and coding. Includes scanning invoices processed into NWF’s online invoice data capture software, MHC.
- Process purchase order related invoices by matching invoice to purchase order and receipts. Resolve matching discrepancies through review of online transactions and discussions with purchasing agent, receiving agent, and vendor. Ensure that purchase orders changes are documented online or written on the invoice. Ensure that purchase order lines are closed when invoice is processed.
- Distribute A/P checks, including obtaining machine or live signatures, sealing and mailing.
- Concur travel and employee expense management software administration, including providing support to all NWF Concur users.
- Identify priority payments in the MHC online invoice data capture software to earn discounts or avoid late fees.
- Assist in implementation of and propose process improvements over the whole A/P function.
- Submits documentation to create or update vendor files.
- Collect W-9 for new vendor setups and 1099 maintenance.
- Maintain files and document A/P procedures thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy.
- Update incoming check receipts log.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required, some college preferred
- 3+ years of Accounts Payable experience preferred
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes and regulations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Ability to effectively communicate in order to obtain or share relevant information
- Experience with or ability to learn Concur, Infor CloudSuite Financials/AP, and MHC
- Ability to determine work priorities
- Flexibility, adaptability and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet schedules and deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Location and Work Mode:
This position is based out of our headquarters in Reston, VA. The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in in the office, or in a hybrid manner, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process.
Compensation and Benefits:
The hourly rate for this full-time position is $20 per hour.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), and 10 holidays.
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.