Type of Job
$55,000 - $65,000
Apr 18, 2023
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state and territorial affiliates and more than seven million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission, we are seeking an Accounting Associate to join our Finance team in Reston, VA. This position is a member of the Unrestricted Revenue (UR) and Treasury team, reporting to the Manager of Accounting, and is primarily responsible for supporting the Treasury and Finance teams with accounting and administrative tasks. In addition to these responsibilities, this position will be responsible for performing other aspects of the accounting functions assigned as well as assist with daily administrative tasks. This position requires familiarity with ERP financial systems, must be detail oriented, have excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Download daily and monthly third-party deposit reports and check registers.
- Reconcile third party daily activity reports to daily bank transactions for accuracy. Advise on variances.
- Update credit card spreadsheet daily by divisions.
- Assist with request for check verification and stop payments/voids, as needed.
- Assist with the scanning, uploading and recording daily returned checks and chargebacks.
- Open incoming mail, scan to appropriate departments/team members and save as needed.
- Assist with recording incoming checks to the company check log.
- Assist with the weekly remote deposits process of incoming checks.
- Analyze and reconcile monthly bank statement and balance sheet accounts assigned.
- Assist with month-end journal entries.
- Assist with the annual financial audit.
- Assist with department administrative tasks.
- Assist with other duties or special projects to accomplish team and department goals.
- 1-3 years of accounting experience; not for profit sector preferred
- General knowledge of applicable laws, codes and regulations
- Good understanding of GAAP and auditing practices and principles
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting preferred, or related field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, with a focus on Excel
- Knowledge or ability to learn Infor Cloud Suite ERP Financial System
- Superb organizational and time management abilities
- Excellent listening, communication and collaboration skills
- Strong accounting analytical skills with attention to detail and accuracy
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission.
Location and Work Mode:
This position is based out of our Headquarters in Reston, VA. The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in the office, or in a hybrid manner, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $55,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), and 10 holidays.
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Proof of vaccination will be required for employment at the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.