Accounting and Operatoins Manager
Type of Job
62,500 - 73,600
Aug 11, 2022
About the job
About the Role
The Accounting and Operations Manager is a key member of the Finance and Operations team and will contribute to a team culture that is focused on effectively managing and adapting to change and identifying opportunities to find efficiencies, leverage technology, and strengthen the sustainability of NRPA. On a daily basis, the Accounting & Operations Manager works on a variety of accounting duties and responsibilities relating to money coming into and going out of NRPA; including accounts receivable, cash reconciliations, and accounts payable; evaluates and makes appropriate recommendations for and improvements to related internal processes; and supports the Chief Operating and Financial Officer’s (COFO) to ensure these accounting processes are aligned with the goals of the organization and strengthen NRPA’s business model.
The Accounting and Operations Manager must exhibit the aptitude to build relationships and collaborate with multiple teams and tiers within and external tothe organization.
In addition to the COFO, the Accounting and Operations Manager will work closely with NRPA’s outsourced accounting firm to improve internal processes and procedures and ensure accurate and effective account management. The candidate must also possess a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, must meet deadlines, stay up to date with internal policies and procedures, and deliver consistently good services to clients and staff.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Prepares, sends and records invoices for products and services offered by NRPA, including membership, certification, advertising and exhibit fees, Conference registration, fee for service contracts and charitable contributions.
· Processes accounts and incoming payments in compliance with policies and procedures which includes cash receipts from the lockbox, mail deliveries, ACH/Wire transfers and making electronic and manual deposits as necessary
· Codes all cash receipts for General Ledger entry via iMIS and other system(s)
· Establishes cash receipt batches in iMIS including reconciliation with bank totals
· Enters NRPA annual conference exhibitor orders and payments into iMIS database
· Processes all transactions for numerous departments within organization
· Issues refunds and/or credits to be applied to other revenue accounts, as needed
· Monitors open accounts receivables report and completes collection of all outstanding accounts, including collaborating with internal points of contact on outreach to members and customers
· Liaises with NRPA teams and outsourced accounting firm regarding invoicing and collections
· Collaborates with Membership team to complete monthly retention outreach communication to NRPA members
· Assists customers with billing and receipt inquires
· Provides schedules and supporting documents to COFO
· Prepares information relating to transaction processing for annual audit
· Partners with COFO to assess the extent to which certain financial transactions and functions can and should be folded into the outsourced accounting firm, RSM, scope of work and monthly activities.
· Assists the COFO with duties and special projects as needed
· Bachelors’ Degree in Accounting or equivalent combination of experience and education required.
· Minimum of 5-7 years in related field; 3-5 years of position-specific experience preferred
· Specialized knowledge of accounts receivable/invoicing, cash reconciliations, and accounts payable with ability to exercise sound judgement and fiscal responsibility.
· Experience in a nonprofit and membership association desirable.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
· Prior experience with accounting software; Sage Intacct and iMIS experience desired
· Knowledge of non-profit GAAP accounting.
· Proven experience identifying, recommending, and implementing process improvements
· Ability to think strategically, view responsibilities and tasks with a critical eye and find solutions through analytical, logical, and iterative approaches.
· Proactively contributes to team innovation and cross-departmental and external collaboration
· Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skill.
· A self-starter requiring minimal guidance; proven ability to manage and set priorities effectively under the pressure of deadlines
· Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail, consistent accuracy, thoroughness, and diligence
· Strong customer service orientation; skilled in collaborating with a wide variety of people
· Demonstrate an understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts, is able to represent those in external relationships, and ensures that they are reflected in all policies, procedures and customer service activities
· Occasional travel, including annual All-Staff Retreat and NRPA Annual Conference
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to: