2022 Schaefer Research Internship
New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
$14 per hour
Feb 7, 2022
About the job
Join the Mohonk Preserve Team!
2022 Schaefer Research Internship: Full-time; Summer
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields, and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals.
About the Position:
Dr. Vincent and Lois Schaefer established the Schaefer Internship “to introduce students to the fascination and almost infinite variety of the natural world by providing the setting, exposure to dedicated scientists, and opportunity to sample a wide variety of nature study.”
This internship is within the Conservation Programs department and is ~8-9 weeks (~June-August, flexible start date)
Conservation Programs staff carry out a broad program of ecological research projects including long-term studies on:
• Natural history of plants and animals
• Water quality and limnology
The 2022 Schaefer Research Internship at the Daniel Smiley Research Center provides an opportunity to work with Preserve research staff, scientists, and land managers on:
• Forest and grassland vegetation assessment
• Vegetation impact from white-tailed deer browse
• Pollinator diversity assessment
• Field management planning
• Detailed data collection & management
The selected intern(s) will develop an individualized research project, complete a written report, and present their findings in an oral presentation at the end of the summer.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Students currently enrolled in their sophomore or junior years of college (or equivalent credit hours) who are majoring in Biology, Ecology, Geology, Environmental Studies/Science, or related natural science majors.
· Must be able to provide personal gear for the day (rain gear, appropriate clothing, hiking boots).
· Interns who excel may be invited to return a second year if applicable.
$14.00/hour for a maximum of 350 hours; housing may be available
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Mohonk Preserve membership for duration of internship
- Access to lands and some activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask while working indoors, including in all Preserve facilities and while working outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing. Regular testing may be required for the unvaccinated. In addition, at this time and until CDC recommendations change, all staff in counties the CDC identifies as having “substantial” and “high” COVID transmission rates must wear masks indoors (unless alone in a closed office) and outdoors in situations where they cannot maintain social distancing regardless of vaccination status. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
· Frequently uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
· Frequently works outdoors
· May require standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
· Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
Applications accepted via e-mail only. Submit the following as a single pdf by email to Conservation Programs staff at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 4, 2022
1. A cover letter that clearly states your reasons for pursuing this internship and what you hope to gain toward achieving your career goals
2. Your current resume
3. Your current transcript (unofficial is OK)
· Make sure to include the applicant’s last name in the file name of your application.
· Please include “Schaefer Research Internship” in the subject line of your email.
· In addition, please arrange to have two letters of recommendation emailed to email@example.com by the application deadline.
· Only on-time, complete applications, which includes reference letters, will be considered.
The anticipated start date of this position is early June 2022.
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.