Impact Investment Summer Associate, Health & Human Services
Washington, DC -OR- Remote
Type of Job
Dec 1, 2020
About the job
About Quantified Ventures
Quantified Ventures is an outcomes-based capital firm that drives transformative health, social, and environmental impact in partnership with public, private, and nonprofit clients. We operate across four practice areas: Health & Human Services, Agriculture, Forestry & Land Use, and Urban & Coastal Resilience.
The large and growing market for impact investment capital challenges the notion that there has to be a trade-off between financial and social returns. At Quantified Ventures, we work to connect that capital with projects and programs that deliver measurable social and environmental outcomes to address the world’s most pressing challenges.
Our work includes:
- Consulting and transaction services: We partner with clients to evaluate costs and benefits of potential environmental and health innovations, determine outcomes-based financing feasibility, and build financial models and capital strategies to create impact investment opportunities
- Project development: We design, execute, and manage projects using outcomes-based revenue models and financing structures and align stakeholders to support environmental and health outcomes
- Investment and fund management: We raise and deploy investment dollars to projects using an outcomes-based approach
- Outcomes evaluation: We engage and monitor initiatives post-launch and ensure the ongoing success of projects by managing the contract and evaluation model
About the Health and Human Services Practice Area
Our Health and Human Services (HHS) practice cultivates partnerships with health plans and community-based organizations to develop, scale, and finance Social Determinants of Health solutions that improve health outcomes, address health disparities, and lower costs. We connect leading human and social service providers with Medicaid Managed Care organizations, health systems, and other entities that assume financial risk for individuals and populations by supporting their transition to value-based care. Our work is to quantify the full value of interventions, identify potential repayment sources and means, and, where needed, attract external capital from the large and expanding pool of investors seeking both social and financial returns. This process builds the capacity of healthcare companies and human services organizations to collaboratively test and scale innovative solutions that address critical and often unmet needs.
Roles and Responsibilities
The summer associate will be an integral part of our team. They will be expected to produce necessary deliverables for clients, help us solve challenging problems, and to support the day-to-day needs of colleagues in the HHS practice area. Our goal is for summer associates to own a key piece of work on a client project that could include: outcomes-based revenue structuring, project cost definition, cost-benefit research and modeling, or monitoring and verification design.
-Work with QV staff to build innovative financing solutions and produce deliverables for our clients, including:
- Research and analysis to help develop strategic initiatives and client recommendations;
- Cost-benefit analyses and economic models to forecast outcomes, cost savings, and/or cash flows; and
- Client-facing PowerPoint presentations to share our findings and recommendations.
-Conduct research on:
- Common issue areas impacting the members/patients of our clients (e.g. risk-bearing health systems, Medicaid/Medicare health plans);
- Innovations and promising or evidence-based solutions to move the needle on the identified health issues; and
- Federal and State health market and regulatory trends enabling and/or supporting further opportunities for outcomes-based financing.
-Lead diligence for a new product or market by defining market size and underlying demand drivers, identifying potential deal economics and revenue potential, and outlining potential market entry strategies for QV.
-Support business development initiatives by helping with prospect research and proposals.
Summer associates will gain experience designing transactions, financial modeling, evaluating outcomes and outcome beneficiaries, and identifying and pitching new business opportunities.
Quantified Ventures is a fast-paced, client-focused, creative, supportive, and collaborative environment. We are seeking entrepreneurial candidates with the drive, can-do attitude, resilience, creativity, commitment to innovation, and attention to detail to help the Quantified Ventures team advance its mission. Impact Investment Summer Associate candidates must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- A history of engagement in one or more fields relevant to our work. This could include experience working with hospitals, health systems, health plans, human service organizations, impact investing and deal structuring, or related types of entities.
- Ability to work with standard professional presentation programs (Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, Google Workspace).
- A desire to practice quantitative and qualitative research skills, and an openness to creative and critical thinking around complex problems.
- People and program management skills, with experience navigating relationships among diverse partners and constituencies.
- Strong written and oral communications and listening skills, such as the ability to simplify and describe complicated issues in a clear and compelling way.
- An ability to bring humor, curiosity, and passion to your work.
Quantified Ventures seeks to deepen our connections with minority communities and other traditionally underrepresented groups to create the broad coalitions we need to effect change and reduce disparities. We encourage women, people of color, individuals who identify as LGBTQIA+, and people with disabilities to apply.
Experience working with underserved populations and the ability to leverage that experience to provide a perspective on issues, challenges, and needs related to Quantified Ventures’ work is a plus.
Applications will be accepted beginning November 23, 2020, and ending January 31, 2021. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis during late January and February 2021. One or more summer associates may be hired through this announcement.
Summer associates work 12 weeks from late May through Mid-August. Start and end dates can be flexible to University schedules. Summer associates are expected to work full-time.
Quantified Ventures is based in the Washington, DC, area. In a typical year, our summer associates work out of our Washington office. Due to COVID, it is unclear at this time whether the summer associate will be in-person or remote. We will share more information about that as it becomes available.
The graduate summer associate program is a paid position. Quantified Ventures is a certified B Corp, making summer associates eligible for matching support from some schools. We encourage and support student efforts to seek matching support from their university where available.
Candidates should have U.S. work authorization. We are open to applications from currently-enrolled students without permanent U.S. work status that meet the applicable legal requirements for a summer associate position.
To apply, please respond to the questions and upload your resume on our online application form.
Quantified Ventures, LLC is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, or genetic information.