Type of Job
60,000 - 65,000
Sep 7, 2022
About the job
Baltimore Green Space (BGS) is Baltimore’s environmental land trust. We promote vibrant neighborhoods and a healthy environment through land preservation, research, and community advocacy. Our vision is to be a leader and partner in ensuring that communities’ open spaces and forest patches are considered priority assets in the growth and redevelopment of Baltimore.
The Development Manager will lead in designing and executing Baltimore Green Space’s fundraising strategy. The position will identify new grant opportunities, write grants, oversee donor engagement and track deliverables.Top candidates for this position will bring hands-on grant writing and reporting experience, knowledge of foundation and corporate fundraising, and the drive to meet outlined development goals. The ideal candidate should be someone who is highly organized and motivated and who excels at written communications and task execution. We are looking for someone who is passionate about environmental justice and advocacy, and enjoys all types of green spaces.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
FUNDRAISING AND STRATEGY (50%)
- Lead implementation and expansion of BGS’s development goals, strategies, timetables and budgets for all grants, giving, and fundraising.
- Work with the executive director and Board Fundraising Committee to identify new grant opportunities, attract new donors, retain and upgrade current grant funding, increase individual donors and net annual fundraising revenues.
- Write and manage grants for federal, state, and local grant opportunities.
- Lead development initiatives and activities: including foundation grants, major gifts, firm/corporate and direct marketing
- Draft and maintain policies and procedures related to fundraising, including donor data management, ethical standards, and recurring annual deadlines.
FUNDER ENGAGEMENT AND MANAGEMENT (40%)
- Plan and implement donor engagement activities, including special events and presentations to expand awareness of the organization’s mission.
- Oversee the daily operation of development database, including funder data management, grant funder prospecting, recording gift transactions; querying/reporting, list management and analysis
- Generate thank you notes, gift receipts, campaign and financial reporting.
- Proactively mine grant funder and other donor data and keep current with emerging trends.
- Conduct biographical, financial and philanthropic research on individuals and/or institutional prospects and donors.
- Create and oversee fundraising content for BGS’s website, social media and e-communications including e-newsletters and e-appeals.
- Create donor focused e-newsletters through an email marketing platform in collaboration with the executive director and Operations Manager.
Other duties as assigned.
- Grant writing experience
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and adapt to changing needs.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Power-Point, Access and especially Excel) to produce reports and correspondence for stakeholders
- A passion for social justice and commitment to improving the lives of city residents through greening and environmental improvement
- Motivation and capacity to quickly learn issues pertinent to disability rights
- Must be able to work occasional special events as needed and additional hours during peak times
- Access to transportation required for local travel
- Experience fundraising with a non profit or working at a foundation within their development department
- Social media experience
This position is hybrid and can be performed from the main office and home.
- Staff Benefits include Employer Sponsored (Medical, Dental); 403(b) Retirement Plan; and paid Holidays (9) and Vacation (15 days); Sick days (10).
- Annual Salary Range: $60,000-$65,000
A Writing Sample will be requested as part of the application process.