Clean Energy Law & Policy Intern
Type of Job
Mar 26, 2021
About the job
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) seeks a curious and driven individual to join our Clean Energy Team this Summer as a Clean Energy Law & Policy Intern in Arizona. This position will offer the opportunity to work directly on pressing energy issues in Arizona at the Arizona Corporation Commission and within the community. The Intern will report to the Government Affairs Manager, with opportunities to learn and grow while working with other conservation professionals.
ABOUT WESTERN RESOURCE ADVOCATES
Founded in 1989, Western Resource Advocates is dedicated to protecting the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers and Western Lands.
In the face of population growth and climate change, the Western United States needs a strong and effective advocacy voice at the regional level to address changes that are already underway and to steer the West towards a sustainable future. WRA has aggressive plans to tackle these challenges. We envision a future in the West where:
- Western rivers and lakes will have abundant clean water to support habitat for fish and wildlife, communities and agriculture, and world class recreational opportunities. The Colorado River will flow to the sea;
- Our homes, buildings and transportation systems will be powered by clean energy. The West will prosper in a zero-carbon economy;
- Half of western landscapes and habitat will be protected and connected to support thriving wildlife populations and unparalleled opportunities to enjoy the West’s natural beauty; and
- The West will have clean air and clean water to support healthy communities and vital habitat.
This position will be based in Phoenix, AZ. WRA employees and interns are strongly encouraged to work from home during COVID-19.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Conduct research on energy law and policy in Arizona.
- Attend stakeholder meetings with WRA staff, including at the Arizona Corporation Commission and others.
- Monitor and track relevant state and regional policy developments relevant to energy.
- Help WRA strategize Arizona specific priorities within the clean energy space.
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal.
- Superior research and analytic abilities.
- Motivated to take ownership of projects and demonstrate follow-through.
- Exhibits sound judgment, accuracy, and integrity.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to be based in Arizona this Summer.
Interns are paid at $12.50 per hour. This is a part-time internship with an expectation to work 20 hours a week. WRA regularly works with students to help them obtain school credit for their internships.
The internship will take place during the Summer of 2021. While the specific dates of this internship are flexible, the start date will be around late May and will go through early August. COVID-19 considerations and safeguards will affect the nature of the work this year.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: WEDNESDAY, APRIL 14, 2021
APPLY HERE: https://westernresourceadvocates.org/careers/clean-energy-law-policy-intern/
Diversity and inclusion are a critical component of our business strategy, mission and vision. We welcome candidates from an array of backgrounds and experiences to join our team. Learn more about our commitment here: https://westernresourceadvocates.org/#commitment-to-diversity.
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.