Vice President of Conservation, Justice & Equity
Type of Job
Dec 16, 2020
About the job
Ocean Conservancy is committed to building justice and equity into our conservation work as we confront the greatest challenges for the ocean in the coming decade. We seek a Vice President for Conservation, Justice & Equity to lead the effort to integrate justice and equity into our conservation strategic planning and implementation. The fate of our blue planet requires us to communicate and inspire a broad array of ocean champions to take action. In order to succeed in our conservation mission, Ocean Conservancy needs to embrace the inclusion of multiple perspectives and skills to secure better outcomes for marine science, advocacy and education; natural resource management; and durable policies to safeguard one of our greatest natural resources. As Ocean Conservancy’s reach and influence grows internationally and in the U.S., we can derive strength and relevance by integrating justice and equity into everything we do.
The Vice President of Conservation, Justice and Equity will be responsible for leading the effort to integrate justice and equity (J&E) into our conservation work. The Vice President will partner with our Chief of Strategy to incorporate justice and equity into how we design our conservation strategies and outreach campaigns; partner with our conservation programs and communications, digital and development teams to catalyze new external partnerships to help us implement conservation in a more just and equitable way; create and lead internal learning networks that educate our program teams to better integrate principles of J&E into key programmatic work, including our Arctic work, climate change and ocean plastics. In addition, this role will build partnerships with external stakeholders and help Ocean Conservancy become a humble thought leader on just and equitable conservation to the broader conservation community. The VP also will collaborate with our internal JEDI taskforce and senior leadership team to bring best practices on building a more just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
The ideal candidate will bring a proven commitment to environmental conservation with direct experience in the environmental justice and social justice domains. This individual will have an active network of other experts in justice and equity.
We have a strong preference for this position to be based in Washington, D.C. but will consider other locations within the U.S.
SALARY RANGE: $150,000 - $180,000
- Lead Ocean Conservancy’s efforts to integrally weave justice and equity into our strategic planning
- Collaborate with staff across programs and departments to incorporate justice and equity into the implementation of our ocean conservation work
- Collaborate with relevant Ocean Conservancy leadership to review and assess our current programs and outreach strategies through a justice and equity lens; offer recommendations rooted in experience, research, partner development and coalition building, and an in-depth understanding of environmental justice and social justice
- Establish learning networks among Ocean Conservancy staff to intentionally deepen expertise in bringing JEDI principles to our work
- Identify and develop new partnerships with external stakeholders that are focused on environmental and social justice that have a nexus to ocean conservation
- Work with development team and senior staff to maintain relationships with funders, develop project proposals, and conduct other activities to secure sufficient funding to carry out high-quality programs and projects to support Ocean Conservancy’s environmental justice activities
- Manage discretionary budget
- 10 or more years of professional experience
- Proven record of experience building justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in an environmental justice or social justice domain, ideally both
- A collaborative leader that influences key stakeholders and facilitates work effectively across diverse teams
- Equipped with a network that supports conservation justice, equity and diversity
- Proven record of experience to form and nurture partnerships with communities or those working directly with communities, and a demonstrated ability to build and participate in diverse coalitions
- Strategic planning and program implementation
- Knowledge of environmental legal and policy issues and ability to quickly become proficient in new issue areas
- Exceptional cultural competency and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven skills in facilitation, training, and conflict resolution and equity-informed mediation skills
- Experience managing a department level budget
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, second languages highly appreciated
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of experience
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.