Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster loom large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities. Greenpeace is headquartered in the Netherlands, with offices all around the world in over fifty countries.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Greenpeace believes that climate change is the most urgent problem facing our planet right now, and the window for meaningful action is closing fast. Corporations and governments lack ambition, and in many cases are actively obstructing climate solutions.
Greenpeace is hiring a Climate Campaigner to work with supporters across the country and with allies to pressure our political institutions and some of our leading companies to take action on climate before it’s too late. The Climate Campaigner will work with our experts in communications, research, and digital to craft campaigns and interventions that change the conversation on climate and spur action at the highest levels of government and corporations to secure a just, green and peaceful future for all.
The Climate Campaigner will use their creative communications, campaigning and digital organizing skills to inform and engage Greenpeace supporters on issues of climate, and working in coalition with allies in the environmental, labor, civil rights and other movement sectors to advance our shared campaign goals. This is a full time, exempt, benefits eligible position reporting to the Climate Director based in Washington, DC.
- Identify campaign opportunities in the external world and develop and deliver campaign strategies and interventions that move GPUS closer to our agreed campaign objectives
- Creatively communicate climate issues, opportunities and interventions, esp through Greenpeace social media channels and via other platforms to reach, inspire and engage our supporters and allies
- Represent Greenpeace US among external partners and in the media, and working within coalition spaces to further campaign and organizational goals
- Work with GP grassroots, online and engagement staff to identify and act on strategic opportunities to mobilize GP’s network of supporters and activists
- Contribute and cultivate issue expertise on climate issues within teams
- Line manage individuals and coordinate teams as needed
- At least three (3) years of experience in developing and delivering campaigns.
- Campaign strategy skills, including experiencing of setting campaign objectives, develop a critical pathway/campaign strategy to achieve these, and selecting an effective series of interventions that strengthens our supporter base and meets the campaign objectives.
- Organizational skills, including experience with running fast paced, creative, engaging activist projects and campaigns project administration.
- Proven understanding of and ability with social media practices, principles and implementation.
- Clear understanding of the relationship between digital engagement and campaigning and advocacy and basic implementation skills, including experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools such as EveryAction, ActionKit, or a similar membership platform (Or if this experience is not deep, eagerness to build these skills)
- Strong presentation skills, written and oral; comfort speaking to the public, Greenpeace supporters, allies and the media
- Commitment to nonviolence as a means of effecting change.
- Proven track record of reaching and inspiring people online to take action both online & offline
- Experience working in coalitions, including cross-cultural, cross-movement sector coalitions
- Experience in all phases of developing and running a project, from conception to completion
- General knowledge of climate-related topics desired but not essential if eager to dive in and learn.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.