Colorado Climate Campaigner
Salary Range: $50,000-$65,000 – Location Negotiable
Deadline for Applications: September 22, 2020
Want to change the world?
WildEarth Guardians is hiring a full-time Colorado Climate Campaigner to help lead in our Colorado and west-wide organizing and campaigning work, to advance state-wide climate objectives and further deepen our efforts across movements for climate, racial and economic justice.
ABOUT WILDEARTH GUARDIANS
WildEarth Guardians (Guardians) is a west-wide nonprofit environmental advocacy organization headquartered in Santa Fe, NM with offices in Denver, Missoula, MT, Boise, ID, Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, and Tucson, AZ. With a 30-year history of bold environmental action, we wage innovative legal and grassroots campaigns to protect and restore wildlife, wild places, wild rivers, and community health in the American West.
Our Climate and Energy Program advocates for an American West that is fossil-fuel free by 2035, including 100% powered by renewable energy by 2030, frack-free by 2028, and on the path to full building and transportation electrification before 2050. Examples of our campaign goals include ensuring a just transition that protects people and wildlife, not fossil fuel polluters; ending federal fossil fuel leasing; phasing out existing drilling; and using the full power of the Clean Air Act to address greenhouse gas pollution economy-wide. We recognize the importance of the moment: Ours is the first generation to experience the impacts of climate change and ecosystem destruction, and the last generation with a window of time to do something about it.
Working closely with WildEarth Guardians’ Climate and Energy Program Director and Climate and Energy Senior Campaigner, the Colorado Climate Campaigner will join Guardians’ efforts in building a movement in Colorado that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and ultimately nationalizes state issues, creating a model of climate action to accelerate climate progress across the western U.S. The position will primarily focus on holding Colorado Governor Jared Polis and his administration accountable to meeting the state’s greenhouse gas reduction targets.
- Support legislative and rulemaking efforts and related communications by providing testimony and creating organizing materials, and engaging Colorado legislators, administrative officials , and members of Congress. In the near term, the Colorado Climate Campaigner will spend significant time engaging the Air Quality Control Commission and the Colorado Oil and Gas Commission to keep the state on track for climate action.
- Engage and empower frontline groups and community members related to climate and air quality issues. We work closely with environmental justice organizations and are committed to supporting movements to dismantle environmental racism, white supremacy, and all forms of colonization and oppression.
- Inspire coalition allies in working together to achieve our goals. This includes playing a leadership role in coalitions through regular (in-person), phone, and electronic communication.
- Organize participation in hearings, protests, and other advocacy efforts, including related media efforts.
- Communicate our work to the public and the media, using visual, written and oral presentation skills, ensuring that messages around climate become the dominant frame for discussions.
- Expand recruitment and engagement of WildEarth Guardians supporters in Colorado, and nationally on climate issues.
Our ideal candidate is adaptable with strong communications and interpersonal skills, and will bring to the position a spirit of creativity, a willingness to spot and seize new opportunities, a streak of irreverence, and a desire to learn new things and meet new people.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Commitment to community organizing and ability to work constructively with grassroots partners. Commitment to social change through building the capacity and power of Black, Indigenous, people of color and low-income people to change their communities and to participate directly in changing public policies.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate challenges and speak truth to power, including from a powerful and well-resourced opposition.
- A highly collaborative leadership style with the ability to partner with and influence key organizational leaders and build high functioning teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the willingness and ability to constructively interact with people from different and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with a team. Strong organizational skills and an ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with a full workload where it is necessary to balance multiple tasks and deadlines.
Additional qualifications for the Colorado Climate Campaigner include, but are not limited to:
- Excellent advocacy, consensus-building, coalition-building, and leadership skills; demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with other staff and other organizations; demonstrated ability to work with groups and individuals across the political spectrum.
- Strong written and verbal communication, with mastery of social media platforms.
- Experience with event and activity logistics and planning.
- A high level of energy and enthusiasm, including a healthy sense of outrage and a sense of humor.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and values on diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as general environmental issues and principles of nonviolence.
Salary: $50,000 – $65,000, depending on experience
Location: Ideally Colorado, but during the pandemic, anywhere you want. Travel required (when safe).
WildEarth Guardians offers a friendly and flexible, team-based environment with an excellent benefits package, including full health, vision, dental, life, and disability coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan with a 3% match, 31 days combined of vacation and personal leave on top of all federal holidays, and a paid long-term leave policy (family/sabbatical).
Please send resume and cover letter attached as one .pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Colorado Climate Campaigner.” Cover letters should communicate the applicant’s heartfelt commitment to WildEarth Guardians’ mission and advocacy and their motivation to work in this position. Applicants are encouraged to tell us who they are as a human being, why they care about this work, and why they are interested in this position.
Please submit applications by September 22, 2020.
No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
WildEarth Guardians is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented communities.