Member Relations Specialist
Position Reports to: Membership & Donor Services Manager
Position Location: Washington, D.C.
We all know someone who goes above and beyond duty and the job description to meet a customer’s needs. We often wonder how they do it along with everything else on their plates. They are wizards and every organization needs at least one. If you are that person, someone who continually works at bettering your customer’s experience, please apply for Friends of the Earth’s Member Relations Specialist role. We need you on our team!
We are looking for someone with experience overseeing gifts/contributions/sales orders, has a desire to work independently, but contributes to the overall success of the team. Our Membership Relations Specialist position is located in our Washington, DC Headquarters and the perfect candidate is someone who has a genius for customer service, familiarity with databases/CRM system, a Microsoft Word pro, and understands the principals of good project management. If you are customer-service and action-oriented, possesses extraordinary attention to detail, are reliable and punctual, and finally, exceptionally positive, please read on.
Who We Are
First of all, you need to know more about us.Friends of the Earth is working for a more healthy and just world. We understand that the challenges facing our planet call for more than half measures, so we push for the reforms that are needed, not merely the ones that are politically easy. Our mission is to change the perception of the public, media and policy makers – and effect policy change – with impactful, well-reasoned policy analysis and advocacy campaigns that protect people and the planet. This hard-hitting advocacy has been the key to our successful campaigns over our four-plus decades in operation. Our programs address a wide range of domestic and international issues as they relate to the environment, including but not limited to: climate and energy, food and agriculture, oceans and water, economic policy and democracy reform.
As Member Relations Specialist, you are responsible for keeping our members happy, which means that you are responsible for:
- Providing best-in-class service and support to our member base.
- Processing all gifts received in the office in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Following up with lapsed donors and improving their membership experience.
- Completing an audit of processes and make recommendations on how to improve the donor journey.
On a daily basis, your tasks will include:
Providing an excellent member experience to those who give to, take action with, or contacts Friends of the Earth. You will accomplish this by executing flawlessly, improving our current process, and finding new and different ways to improve our donors’ experience.
- Addressing all member inquiries that come in by phone or mail.
- Preparing and sending engaging, inspiring donor acknowledgement letters in a timely manner.
- Using phone, mail and email to follow up with lapsed donors.
- Finding new ways to improve donor satisfaction, including suggestions on ways we can improve donor retention.
- Auditing current member services communications and identifying ways to improve their “donor-centricity”.
- Developing a strategy to boost Friends of the Earth’s monthly givers or sustainers.
Data entry and reporting. Specifically you will be:
- Entering all whitemail data in our CRM system, Raiser’s Edge.
- Entering gifts in our CRM that fall outside our regular bulk data entry process.
- Processing and tracking planned giving news magazine replies.
- Processing workplace and matching gifts.
- Producing gift reports for accounting.
Direct mail: Supporting the production process for Friends of the Earth’s direct mail program.
- Proofreading direct mail letters and art.
- Processing and producing check requests.
To be successful in this job, you must have this experience/background:
- Customer service mindset, willing to go above and beyond for our donors.
- 1-4 years of experience in fundraising, customer service, marketing, or a related field.
- Project management skills, be highly organized, able to manage workload and prioritize a large number of daily tasks without dropping any balls.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and exercise good judgement and decision-making when dealing with difficult donor enquiries
- Exacting attention to detail and excellent memory for detail.
- Excellent telephone and personal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, and Outlook.
Additionally a passion for the environment and progressive politics, some writing, experience with process improvement and nonprofit/membership organizations would be a plus. Also, if you know something about Raiser’s Edge, our CRM platform that would be great too, but not necessary.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of can-do people, working in open spaces, regularly supporting each other. You will be working out of our Headquarters in Washington, DC, which is a highly collaborative environment.
Your salary will be competitive for the role and market and you will find our benefits to be generous – organization-sponsored medical/dental/vision care, generous paid time off, contribution to retirement, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, paid maternity/paternity leave and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. Also, please note that references will be requested during the screening process and we will ask final candidates to tackle some exercises that directly relate to the job description.
To apply, please click on this this link, which will take you to our recruiter’s site, and click on “Apply for this Job Online.” We look forward to learning more about you.