Restore America’s Estuaries (RAE) is the country’s leading national non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and restoration of bays and estuaries as essential resources for our nation. RAE leads an alliance of ten community-based conservation organizations representing our nation’s greatest estuaries. For more information on RAE, please see our website: www.estuaries.org.
The External Affairs Manager will serve as RAE’s lead external communications and outreach liaison to promote issues, policies and programs that advance the mission and goals of the organization. This position requires a highly dynamic individual who is passionate about the natural environment, thrives on creativity and collaboration, and pays close attention to detail and timeliness in a fast-paced work environment. The nature of this position requires a team player with strong communication skills and a positive attitude, as (s)he will have regular interaction with other members of the RAE staff and the RAE President (President) and Board of Directors (Board), federal agency representatives, and other like-minded organizations. The position is located in Arlington, VA and reports directly to the RAE President.
The External Affairs Manager will work with the President, Board, and RAE staff to develop and implement a strong and effective outreach, communication, and policy agenda that supports the organization’s overall mission, strategic plan, and program initiatives. This position will utilize social media for effective public engagement, and to engage the community of coastal- and estuarine-focused non-profits, businesses, research institutions, and others involved in our work.
Main responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement an inspiring outreach and communication strategy and annual agenda to advance and expand external support for protecting and restoring the health of our nation’s estuaries consistent with RAE’s Strategic Plan;
- Manage multiple external coalitions including HabNet and the Coastal Habitat Restoration and Protection Coalition;
- Manage nascent Affiliate Membership program;
- Develop and manage an aggressive social media outreach strategy including: maintain social media calendar, execute day-to-day postings to drive action across major platforms, organize annual webinar series, mange blog, lead annual “Iheartestuaries” campaign, and analyze and report effectiveness to maximize results;
- Lead annual National Estuaries Week outreach and mini-grants program;
- Foster and maintain strong working relationships with key federal agency staff and relevant congressional committee and Estuaries Caucus staff;
- Assist with special projects as needed, including research projects, reports, and the biennial National Summit;
- Assist in developing proposals for funding of policy and advocacy-related projects; and
- Supervise intern(s), as needed.
- Strong passion for protecting the environment required;
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, and Excel; ;
- In-depth knowledge and experience with various social media platforms (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.);
- Self-starting attitude and at-ease in a small office setting;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent;
- Experience interacting with federal agencies and/or Congress a plus;
- At least three years’ related work experience, preferably in a non-profit advocacy environment;
- Comfortable with some required travel.
Restore America's Estuaries is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace, and an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and people of color are encouraged to apply.
RAE highly values its employees and provides a robust total compensation package. Salary is commensurate with experience for this full-time position, within the range of $60,000 to $68,000 per year. In addition, RAE offers 100% employer-paid insurance premium for employee-only medical, vision, and dental coverage; extensive paid time off; and, a generous employer contribution to employees’ 401(k) retirement plan.
Please send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “External Affairs” in the subject line by COB June 8, 2018. Please do not contact the office directly.