BVM is seeking an Southwest Georgia Regional Organizer who will provide support to the BVM Senior State Coordinator by organizing around environmental justice issues and voter mobilization in SW Georgia. The Organizer will work as part of BVM’s broader objective of advocating for racial justice and building power by centering Black love, Black culture and Black joy.
Environmental Justice Component:
The Southwest GA Organizer will support BVM and coalition work to offer relief from excessively high utility bills to residents in SW Georgia communities. We’re looking for an emerging leader in the city of Albany who is passionate about lessening the utility burden on Albanians, and can advocate to implement energy efficiency programs in the city and county. These programs may include upgrading and retrofitting homes, change in local and state policies regarding utilities and introducing clean energy solutions to lessen the impact of high energy rates.
The Day-to-Day Responsibilities:
● Assisting the GA Sr. State Coordinator with identification and outreach to new partner organizations in the targeted counties.
● Assisting the Georgia Sr. State Coordinator with organizing efforts around utilities/clean energy, voter mobilization/registration (GOTV) and census outreach (GOTC).
● Assisting the Georgia Sr. State Coordinator with planning and implementing in person and virtual convenings, training sessions, voter registration, (GOTV) and census outreach (GOTC).
● Coordinating ongoing communications with the network of BVM partner organizations in SW GA. Such communications include Slack, Mobilize, e-mail discussions and/or conference calls.
● Helping to plan BVM bus tours and/or special events and providing social media content related to SW GA efforts for Sr. Coordinator and BVM communications staff
● Providing weekly updates to BVM’s Sr. State Coordinator
● Research policy issues related to utility bills at the municipal, county, state and federal levels of government.
SW Georgia counties:
Background and Desired Skills:
● Organizing experience in Southwest Georgia, particularly in Albany/Dougherty County
● Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice, environmental health, and/or social, racial and economic justice.
● Experience in electoral organizing
● Strong leadership, interpersonal and excellent written and oral presentation skills.
● Experience coordinating projects with multiple partners/stakeholders, and experience working directly with community members from diverse backgrounds and ethnicities.
● Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and ability to meet multiple deadlines.
● At least 2-4 years managing large-scale VR and GOTV programs, and/or experience working in organizing, issue advocacy, and/or political campaigns.
● Experience in a campaign or non-profit environment preferred with a commitment to progressive causes and community organizing experience a plus.
● Ability to work independently with strong time management skills in a fast paced environment and proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point, and various social media platforms.
This position reports to: Georgia Sr. State Coordinator
Travel Requirements: Ability and willingness to travel locally approximately 25% of the time
Salary & benefits: Annual range of $36 – $40k, depending on experience, plus health benefits.