Context: Manages online organizers to support digital efforts of the Sierra Club's full suite of clean energy for all initiatives, to move beyond fossil fuels. Crafts and executes campaign online organizing strategy for projects, that includes developing an active, online network of Club members and supporters engaged in the campaigns. Works with appropriate campaign staff to use Club's online data, web and email systems to drive the strategy and further advance the goals of the campaigns and to make the Sierra Club a more inclusive place for everyone. Works on special projects as directed.
Scope: The Online Organizing Manager plans, strategizes, and implements the online education and mobilization efforts of the campaigns. Accesses Club database systems to assess results, build data files, and target online organizing strategies. Coordinates editing, writing, researching, and developing online web pages and action alerts to support the online activist network. Works with vendors and creative campaign launches. Manages and tracks online organizing activity for the campaigns as directed.
- Manages online organizing staff responsible for the work of the campaigns. Reviews the work of staff and provides training and ongoing performance feedback. Conducts formal performance evaluations, and takes appropriate disciplinary action when needed. Makes recommendations in hiring, termination, and salary decisions.
- Works with online organizers and other staff to develop and recommend online engagement plans for specific regions and on specific national efforts in conjunction with campaigns or programs. Leads implementation of national strategy through writing, editing, and production of online tools.
- Organizes, develops, and coordinates online email outreach, web-based advocacy, and online-to-offline integration of members and supporters who are interested in the national campaigns.
- Supports and mentors staff on digital distributed organizing strategies in the campaigns
- Uses Club integrated email/web/constituent relationship management system to develop segmented lists, track and report results, target emails, and link to appropriate web pages. Assists with the coordination of vendors as assigned.
- Continually finds ways to identify and recruit/convert new supporters, reach new and diverse audiences online and get them involved and excited in online programs. Reaches out and engages online volunteers to win campaigns, build power and raise funds.
- Oversees strategy and functionality of regional campaign websites in coordination with Communications staff on content development and engagement functionality
- Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility events, or other large events and conferences as needed.
- Communicates directly with members of the campaign online networks, including writing and editing content. Responds to questions, forwards inquiries to other staff or volunteers, and provides a high level of customer service for the online network.
- Participates in developing a strategy and implementing an integrated campaign presence on existing regional social networking sites as well as the campaign’s specific web-presence.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Heavier seasonal workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines, staff absences and vacancies, and during peak activity periods. Frequent weekend and/or evening work required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Three to Five plus years’ experience in online organizing or campaigning.
- Prior management experience preferred.
- Previous experience developing and managing online creative campaigns, preferably including the management of design and web development vendors and regional email acquisition campaigns with a focus on engaging new audiences.
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems and web applications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.