Program Description: Each year, the Sierra Nevada Alliance places 28 AmeriCorps members with partner conservation organizations throughout the Sierra Nevada. During their terms of service, members restore and monitor impaired Sierra watersheds, educate Sierra residents and visitors on environmental issues, and recruit and manage volunteers for a variety of programs. SNAP members gain skills and technical training, are mentored by outstanding environmental leaders, and provide a meaningful contribution to the communities of the Sierra Nevada. A living allowance, loan forbearance, and health care benefits are provided during the term of service, as well as an end-of-service education award.
Location: Varies on placement, host sites are located throughout California’s Sierra Nevada range. Please see host site description for example locations.
Position Description: To see the types of positions that will be available please refer to the 2020-21 position descriptions on our website.
Service Commitment: October 15, 2020 - September 18, 2021. Members make an 11-month, full-time commitment to serve a nonprofit organization or public agency in the Sierra Nevada.
Required Qualifications: While each SNAP Position has unique requirements related to the position’s function, the SNAP Program has some general requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- High School Diploma or GED (higher education degrees are highly recommended OR six months of relevant experience in restoration, monitoring, environmental education, or field work. May consider related experience.).
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Must not have a criminal history that results in the applicant’s inability to serve as an AmeriCorps member.
- Must not have been released for cause from a previous AmeriCorps term of service.
- Must have not served more than 3 previous AmeriCorps terms of service.
The SNAP Member Application Period will close July 24, 2020. Please visit our website for more details. https://sierranevadaalliance.org/sierra-nevada-americorps-partnership-snap/