Global Director, Latin American Forest Campaign
Mighty Earth, an environmental advocacy organization, is accepting applications for a Washington, D.C. based Global Campaign Director for our campaign to protect the Amazon rainforest and other critical ecosystems in Latin America. If you are passionate about fighting climate change and protecting forests which are critical to the Indigenous communities that depend on them, read on.
We’re looking for a talented leader, campaigner and team builder with the experience and strategic skills in advocacy, organizing and communications to run our global campaign to protect Latin America’s forests, savannahs, and Indigenous rights. You and your team will run a campaign with a major focus on convincing supermarkets, fast food chains, and agribusiness giants like Cargill and JBS to eliminate deforestation and the destruction of critical habitats and communities and move to sustainable practices across their global supply chains. You will also help drive major initiatives to build support for complementary government action wherever possible.
Who we are:
Mighty Earth is a global campaign organization that works to protect tropical forests, oceans, and the climate with staff based around the world. We have played a leading role in persuading the world’s largest food and agriculture companies to adopt policies to eliminate deforestation and human rights abuse from the palm oil, chocolate, and rubber industries, and driven adoption of multi-billion-dollar shifts to clean energy. Our Chairman, former Congressman Henry Waxman, is responsible for some of the most important environmental legislation of the last 50 years, notably the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments and the Safe Drinking Water Act.
Background on the position:
In 2016, we launched a major project to protect Latin America’s forests, savannahs and Indigenous rights, with a focus on breaking the link between industrial agriculture and deforestation, integrated with a broader agenda of creating a truly sustainable agricultural system. Through creative, hard-hitting campaigns and savvy negotiating, Mighty Earth has helped lay the groundwork for action. However, as the Amazon fires and the continued threat from hostile governments shows, much more action is needed - and we are planning to ramp up.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Running a large-scale international campaign to transform the meat industry to end deforestation, adopt regenerative agricultural practices, and support increased use of plant-based protein, while also working for complementary government policies.
- Developing and implementing effective plans and strategies to achieve campaign goals.
- Integrating the campaign’s communications, online, field and grassroots work.
- Supervising and training Latin American, European and U.S. staff and consultants working on the campaign.
- Engaging with CEOs, senior executives, and high-level government officials to advance complementary government policy and action.
- Working closely with grassroots civil society and Indigenous communities in focus countries.
- Generating media attention by report releases, events, press conferences in key media markets, through a strategic media plan and building relationships with reporters.
- Advising international governments, philanthropies and other donors.
Who you are:
- You have years of experience, with a background in successful issue advocacy campaigning or grassroots organizing. You have experience recruiting, training, and managing staff, ideally working in remote settings.
- You are passionate about protecting the environment and advancing a more just society.
- You have experience developing and implementing campaign strategy and detailed plans, communicating with corporate executives and/or elected officials, and figuring out how to move decision makers.
- You are comfortable operating in highly dynamic environments where changes in politics, economics, and other external events regularly create opportunities and challenges on a regular basis
- You are comfortable working with various internal and external stakeholders and can network and build coalitions across diverse constituencies.
- You are a good writer and can take complex information to distill into understandable products such as press releases, reports, and letters.
- You have an international orientation. You have experience with and are committed to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including different ethnic, racial, and religious communities.
- English fluency is required.
- Additional language skills, including Portuguese, Spanish, German, Dutch, other European languages, or Chinese a plus, but not essential.
- Expertise in deforestation and agricultural issues is a plus, but not required.
- Familiarity with and connections in Latin America a plus, but not required.
More about our team: Mighty Earth is made up of people from various backgrounds including people with background in non-profit organizations, election campaigns, government, the private sector, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. The position involves significant international travel. You will report to our Deputy Director and work closely with our senior staff members. Candidates are required to adhere to all U.S. government disclosure requirements.
To apply: Please submit your application as soon as possible. Please visit http://www.mightyearth.org/careers/ click on the apply button in the job description. Please include a thoughtful cover letter which speaks to our mission and demonstrates your writing abilities and also let us know where you heard about the job. The position will remain posted until it is filled.
Compensation and benefits: Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and we can discuss your salary expectations early in the interview process. We have a generous benefits package including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Mighty Earth is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.