Are you passionate about social and environmental justice? Do you care about climate change?
Do you love telling stories and inspiring people to take action?
Are you curious to learn more about what motivates people?
Do you enjoy the technical details of digital communications as much as the creative aspects?
Are you a data nerd?
Then this position may be what you’re looking for.
Join Earthworks’ growing team of committed advocates. This is an exciting opportunity with our engagement program connecting supporters with the frontlines of mining and energy extraction.
Working closely with the Communications and Philanthropy teams, you will
- Execute digital communications strategy to increase the engagement of donors and online activists to further our mission.
- Expand Earthworks’ reach and attract new supporters.
- Draft action alert emails, newsletters, fundraising emails and update Earthworks’ website with engaging content that translates complex program work into stories that connect with our core audiences.
- Manage our social media presence on Facebook and Twitter.
- Be part of the creative team developing print content such as newsletters, the annual report, impact reports, and direct mail campaigns.
- Learn the ins and outs of Wordpress, Salsa, Salesforce, and other platforms.
- Test, track results, and analyze data to promote organizational learning and continuously improve our efforts.
- Provide other support to Communications and Philanthropy teams as needed.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- 1-3 years’ experience in digital advocacy, communications, and/or fundraising
- Strong writing, editing, speaking and interpersonal skills
- Analytic skills, including understanding of statistics and synthesizing information
- Ability to work collaboratively with a distributed team
- Aptitude for digital technology, including proficiency in social media
- Employ a systematic approach to your work
- Collaborative with an orientation towards learning and sharing
- Interest in both advocacy and fundraising
- Willingness to try new things and learn from failure
A plus if you have...
- Spanish language skills
- Working knowledge of CRM and CMS platforms
- Video editing experience
- Washington, D.C. area location (but remote candidates in the United States are welcome to apply)
Earthworks is a dynamic advocacy organization headquartered in Washington, DC, with a mostly remote workforce of 26 people across 7 states. Earthworks protects communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of fracking and mining. We reform government policies, improve corporate practices, influence investment decisions, and encourage responsible materials sourcing and consumption. We ensure that communities’ voices and concerns are heard in the corridors of power, from the nation’s capital to state houses and legislatures.
Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal-opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination.
Woman-led, multigenerational, and with a relatively flat hierarchy, we encourage initiative and leadership at all levels. Earthworks has a very flexible work environment, with many employees working remotely or telecommuting part of the time to ensure work-life balance. We provide a competitive benefits package, including employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance; matching 403b contributions; sick and family leave; 2 weeks’ vacation to start not including office closure during the last week of December; and eligibility for a paid three-month sabbatical after 7 years of service.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples -- a sample social media post and a short piece (such as a blog) of no more than five paragraphs -- to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include links to blogs, social media handles, or any other online presence that highlights your experience.