TransForm is seeking an extraordinary project manager who can oversee an intensive two year project to create an innovative new climate justice solution – bringing affordable, sustainable transportation to three affordable housing communities, and mobility hubs to their neighborhoods.
About the Project
TransForm is initiating an exciting project that will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) pollution while meeting the urgent need to combine affordable transportation with affordable housing.
Low-income households already spend on average 54% of their incomes on housing and transportation, and unless we find innovative new solutions these costs are projected to increase to 67% by 2040.
The project will provide mobility hubs that may include e-bikes, solar electric car share, free transit passes and other incentives to meet the travel needs of underserved low-income residents in Richmond, Oakland and San Jose. A needs assessment will ensure that residents guide the program design from the outset, including the specific mix of mobility options provided at each site. The project will also be guided by diverse advisory groups at each site. Infrastructure will be coupled with on-site outreach to support resident choices.
In the short-term we seek to increase access to opportunities for low-income families while dramatically reducing their transportation costs. In the long-term the information will be used to identify effective mobility options and the best approach to ensure use, so that affordable and market-rate housing developers can build less parking in future projects. All of which promises to support dramatically lower development cost, especially in infill sites near transit.
TransForm works to create world-class public transportation and walkable communities in the Bay Area and beyond. We build diverse coalitions, influence policy, and develop innovative programs to improve the lives of all people and protect the environment.
This project is a component of GreenTRIP, a program TransForm began in 2008 to make our communities healthier and more affordable places to live, work, and get around. GreenTRIP is actively developing partnerships, conducting empirical research, and building tools that can support affordable and vibrant communities throughout California.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 25 coordinates significant collaborations that bring together diverse partners committed to common causes. Our main office is in downtown Oakland, with satellite offices in Sacramento and San Jose. Learn more at www.TransFormCA.org and www.GreenTRIP.org.
What you will experience in this position
The GreenTRIP Project Manager position will launch and manage this ambitious two-year demonstration project. This is a great position for someone with experience taking on large-scale, challenging projects to produce profound social impact. As with most large projects, the launch phase will be intense. We are looking for someone who enjoys managing multiple variables in a complex situation and has confidence in their decision-making abilities. Someone who has excellent time management and prioritization skills. Someone who can initiate and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of people. Someone who communicates clearly and is reliable. This position has an initial duration of slightly over 2 years (through the first quarter of 2020) with potential for project extension pending additional funding.
Your key responsibilities
- Lead day-to-day operations to keep project tasks moving on schedule and under budget.
- Coordinating contracts and partnerships.
- Major project tasks (as supported by TransForm staff and external partners):
- Program design, staffing a policy committee and on-site teams, implementing carshare and transit pass programs, coordinating outreach and education, coordinating events and publicity, designing, deploying and evaluating data from resident surveys.
- Manage an approximately $3 million budget and government contract.
- Track progress on project goals, objectives and budgets.
- Visit three project sites in Richmond, Oakland, and San Jose at least monthly and as needed for meetings, construction coordination and events.
- Possibly manage an onsite outreach coordinator.
- Participate in GreenTRIP team and TransForm-wide meetings and activities.
- May include some night and weekend meetings or events.
You have these skills
- Three or more years of complex project management experience, including strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple complex internal and external processes.
- Experience coordinating with multiple organizations and agencies, such as in a coalition.
- Experience setting up and implementing project management and tracking systems.
- Experience managing large program budgets and government contracts.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- At least 5 years of working experience.
You might ideally have these skills
- Experience organizing or engaging low-income communities.
- Experience living and/or working in the Bay Area with geographic knowledge of the local areas.
- General knowledge of alternative transportation options and multifamily residential property management.
- Familiarity using Salesforce or similar databases.
- At least two years managing a large-scale project with a budget of $1 million or more per year.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week), exempt position. Compensation is $75,000 - $80,000 per year based on experience and skills. Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
Our staff is focused on making positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
TIMELINE: Applications are accepted until position is filled. To be considered for our initial round of application review, please submit materials by Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 11:59pm. Phone interviews may begin the week of January 15, 2018. Start date is likely mid-late February, depending on scheduling. To see if the position is still available, please go to www.TransFormCA.org and check if it is still listed in the “Jobs” section of our website. First Posted: December 14, 2017
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey to receive further instructions
Link to the website job description HERE