The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Senior Grant Writer, Foundation Relations to work with the Development team in our San Francisco office. The primary responsibility of the Senior Grant Writer is to develop effective fundraising materials—including concept notes and proposals, project budgets, and narrative and financial reports—for a range of current and prospective foundation donors, wealth advisors, fund managers and others.
- Write fundraising materials, including concept notes, proposals, and reports, writing in a variety of styles ranging from highly technical to more personal.
- Prepare financial documents to accompany fundraising materials, including proposal budgets, grant expense reports, and budget and expense report narratives.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the interests and expectations of the organization’s major foundation funders.
- Assimilate information about NRDC’s issues and programmatic work from a variety of sources and describe activities in clear and compelling language.
- Research current and prospective foundation partners and analyze grant-making strategies and histories to prepare briefing materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS degree
- 2-3 years’ experience writing for a high-volume non-profit Development department
- Strong commitment to environmental advocacy
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated experience developing proposals for institutional foundations
- Strong analytical skills and experience working with complex budgets and expense reports
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make judgment calls in a variety of situations
- Collegial team player able to interact effectively with diverse internal and external constituencies
- Effective in a fast-paced environment and eager to contribute to the collaborative dynamic of the department
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work independently and manage multiple assignments and deadlines
- Windows and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and database software proficiency
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing:
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org