The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC seeks a Receptionist to join our Facilities and Administration Department in our Washington, D.C. Office. The Receptionist will answer all incoming calls and provide administrative support to the Facilities Department. The candidate must be able to efficiently handle administrative tasks such as: processing invoice and expenses, handling phone calls, greeting visitors, scheduling and coordinating meetings, preparing materials for meetings and other events. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, have excellent administrative and organizational skills, sound judgment, strong interpersonal skills, and be able to support consensus-based decision with a flexible, innovative approach to resolving issues. This position reports to NRDC’s DC Office Senior Facilities Manager.
- Answer all incoming calls from multi-line switchboard
- Manage visitors’ log and building’s security process
- Greet visitors courteously before contacting appropriate staff member
- Receive and distribute messenger and overnight deliveries
- Maintains the reception area in an orderly and presentable manner
- Maintains and updates daily sign in/out sheet, kitchen duty and other office staff lists
- Process facilities invoices and other budget management activities as requested
- Maintaining calendar appointments and meetings
- Coordinating schedules and travel arrangements
- Organize office events and meetings
- Provide a high level of customer service to our staff and visitors
- Maintain paper and electronic filing systems and databases
- Maintain NRDC commitment to sustainable business operations
- Provide general administrative support to Facilities and Administration team
- Ad hoc projects
- Willingness to take on additional responsibilities as time allows
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two to four years of work experience; prior experience as a receptionist or administrative assistant preferred (facilities administration experience a plus)
- Must be able to multi-task
- Ability to operate a switchboard
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal skills
- Self-directed, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Proactive, detail-oriented, problem solver with the ability to deliver high-quality results on-time
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and organizational skills are required; timely completion and attention to detail are expected, as is the ability to make decisions and access situations with the “big picture” in mind
- Experience working with multiple teams, priorities and projects at the same time
- Ability to maintain composure under stress
- Ability to adhere to high standards of confidentiality
- Enthusiastic, warm attitude with a strong interest in assisting people
- Must like to work collaboratively, and be able to work independently
- Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio and Outlook; Agilquest Planning System, Great Plains and Concur accounting software knowledge helpful, but not required
- Willingness to be available for occasional overtime work
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. The application deadline will be Monday, May 13 at 5pm EDT. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org