The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant to work with the Canada Project in our Washington, DC office. The Program Assistant will support our team working on Canadian boreal forest, tar sands, and other Canada projects. The successful candidate must have excellent communication and problem solving skills and be able to handle tasks such as: management of budgets, contracts and processing expenses, formatting and proofreading documents, coordinating and booking travel, scheduling meetings, coordinating meetings and events, and researching and preparing materials. GIS skills and French proficiency are preferred but not required.
- Coordinate staff schedules and set up meetings
- Correspond with consultants and partners as needed
- Process and track invoices, contracts, grants and expenses, in a regular and timely way
- Provide research on specific topics, with a focus on Boreal Forest, tar sands and in environmental issues in Canada
- Help in the development of blogs, fact sheets, issue briefs, reports and other materials
- Support the team’s needs at special events
- Proofread and edit correspondence and various documents such as emails, blogs, internal reports, external publications, proposals, etc.
- Collaborate with the Canada Project team on blog posts and newsletters
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 1-2 years of experience preferred
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be detail-oriented
- Must have a demonstrated interest in environmental issues
- Must have the ability to effectively prioritize tasks, and work in a fast-paced environment with an ability to handle multiple tasks
- Must have the ability to work well under pressure
- Must possess a high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- GIS knowledge a plus but not required
- French proficiency a plus but not required
- Cover letter
- Writing sample, if available in French
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org