The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 600 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC seeks a Program Assistant to support two programs in our San Francisco office – the India Program and Nature Program. The Program Assistant will work closely with a group of three NRDC staff working in the following areas: advance clean energy and climate change projects in India and expanding clean energy throughrenewable energy siting and working with local communities in California and western states. The position focuses on providing administrative support to each of these initiatives, requiring strong organizational skills, ability to juggle multiple tasks and willingness to work with a diverse and fast-paced team.
- Providing administrative support to program staff
- Preparing expense and budget reports and maintaining financial records including multiple invoices monthly
- Managing and maintaining paper and electronic filing systems and databases
- Taking notes on calls and researching topics
- Scheduling and organizing meetings, events and conference calls for program staff
- Making travel arrangements, including transportation, accommodations, vehicle rentals and conference registration
- Proofreading, formatting, and helping prepare letters, reports, fact sheets, blog posts, and other project materials
- Responding to and directing inquiries from the general public and outside organizations
- Handling incoming and outgoing mail
- Preparing media reports with press clips and helping to put together reports to funders
- Assisting the receptionist and other program assistants as needed
- Performing other projects as assigned (like working with GIS)
- At least 5 years of experience in administrative, expense, accounting and organizational skills. Candidates with 5 or more years of relevant experience will be preferred.
- Strong facility with spreadsheets, databases, such as Excel, and experience with accounting and finance preferred
- Experience with professional software tools such as Outlook, Teams, Dropbox, Office, and internet research
- Highly detail oriented with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, follow organizational procedures and perform accurately under deadlines
- Self-directed with the ability to prioritize, plan ahead, manage and follow through on multiple tasks
- Strong research and writing skills, and interest in jumping in to help on new projects
- Ability to organize and manage small internal and external events
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org