The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
Human Resources’ vision is to be valued as experts who develop leading people-solutions, foster a values-driven culture, and are sought out as strategic partners and we are committed to nurturing a work environment where our people thrive and work together to achieve our mission. We are looking for a talented and motivated Senior HR Assistant to join our team to focus on all administrative needs for two (2) HR Deputy Directors.
This position will be based in NY and reports to both the Deputy Director, HR Operations and Managing Director, Partner Relations.
- Provide general administrative support for Deputy Directors such as scheduling meetings, balancing schedules, processing expenses, distributing mail, and arranging travel.
- Cater internal meetings
- Track team days off on calendar
- Maintain and audit I-9 verification documents, including managing E-Verify process
- Create and maintain electronic employee files, in compliance with regulations, best practices and retention requirements; advise team on management of “other” files
- Maintain compliance signage with respective offices and remote workers
- Responsible for invoice submission and tracking for HR-related invoices, including maintaining complete records (invoices, HR invoices inbox, executed contracts, etc.)
- Review monthly expenses posted to HR budgets (discretionary, overhead, training and retreat) to ensure proper classification and re-class as necessary
- Manage sub-codes and request new ones as needed
- Manage vendor set-up process, ensuring complete records are received and submitted to Finance
- Facilitate process for execution of contracts with vendors, including proof-reading and channeling through Corporate Counsel
New Employee Onboarding
- Work with colleagues to prepare for and staff quarterly orientation events
- Back-up for Day 1 orientation of new hires
Employment Data Maintenance
- Enter and/or audit select employment information into HRIS (Paylocity)
- Develop and maintain process for uploading new employee pictures into Employee Directory
- Research on HR issues
- Other duties, as assigned
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent work experience
- Significant experience working in an assistant or coordinator position with exposure to/management of administration for Human Resources or similar function
- General knowledge of HR principles, practices, and procedures, and a demonstrated ability to apply that knowledge
- Must be highly detail oriented
- Must be flexible with changing needs
- Must be comfortable with learning new technology
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, organize and coordinate multiple tasks, set priorities, follow organizational procedures, and performs quickly and accurately under deadlines
- Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook
- Ability to conduct research, analyze material logically, and share ideas and recommendations clearly
- A proven ability to multitask and remain organized in a fast-paced environment
- Strong sense of compassion for others and high degree of integrity
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org /careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org