The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Senior Administrative Assistant to work with the Managing Director of NRDC’s Center for Policy Advocacy and the Deputy Chief Program Officer and Managing Director of NRDC’s Nature Program in our Chicago office. This position will provide full day-to-day administrative support to the Managing Directors of the Center for Policy Advocacy and the Nature Program including calendar management and scheduling, planning travel logistics, and meeting coordination. This position will also work within the Chief Program Office on budget tracking and special projects, and s/he will also work on a number of projects within the Chief Program Office and Center for Policy Advocacy, particularly in budget and event planning. Work involving research and communications is also a possibility, but this is primarily an administrative position. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, quick learner and knows how to manage his or her own work and balance assignments. The individual in this role must be comfortable working in an independent, flexible, and efficient manner in a fast-paced work environment and be able to prioritize projects. Previous experience in an administrative role is required. Experience with budget tracking and logistics coordination is a plus.
- Provide administrative support to the Managing Director of NRDC’s Center for Policy Advocacy and the Deputy Chief Program Officer and Managing Director of NRDC’s Nature Program, including calendar management and scheduling, processing of correspondence, invoice and expense reporting, and file maintenance.
- Manage material gathering, administer the collaborative online space for materials and agendas, and participate in meetings to take notes and track and ensure meeting deliverables are met.
- Organize and coordinate meetings and events with internal and external parties and oversee logistics, scheduling and technology of programmatic meetings and retreats.
- Help to manage departmental budgets, ensuring accurate tracking of spending and reporting with finance staff.
- Coordinate travel arrangements.
- Work with the Chief Program Officer’s staff (Deputy Chief Program Officer, Program Operations Manager, and CPO Executive Assistant) on budget management and event organizing.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Chief Program Officer on an ad hoc basis.
- Work with Program Operations Manager on special projects.
- Bachelors degree
- 2+ years in Administrative role
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong project management and project coordination skills
- Experience working with multiple teams, priorities and projects at the same time
- Strong skills in MS PowerPoint, Excel, Word
- Detail-oriented with high standard of excellence
- Experience with budget creation and tracking
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.