The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
The Natural Resources Defense Council is seeking a Junior Designer for its multimedia team in New York City. We’re looking to hire an adept graphic designer who has a diverse portfolio of creative work including a broad understanding of information graphics, editorial design, and creating assets for social media.
The successful candidate will have a passion for the environment and public health and an understanding of NRDC’s core mission to safeguard the Earth, its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends.
This communications department position reports directly to the Art Director.
THIS IS A TERM LIMITED POSITION THROUGH 6/30/2021
- Work with the Art Director and Senior Designer to design and format graphics for social media platforms, email newsletters and other forms of digital communications.
- Design engaging PowerPoint and Keynote presentations.
- Work with the Art Director and Senior Designer to design print materials for donor communications and fundraising
- Help with the production design of larger scale print projects—including, copy flow, hi-res image replacement, and making print-ready PDFs.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field.
- Experience as a designer at an editorial publication, agency, or corporate communications department.
- Responsive and quick thinking in rapid paced environments.
- Excellent communication skills
- Organized self-starter
- Able to successfully respond to critical direction
- Interest in creating engaging design for mobile audiences
- Strong knowledge of Keynote and/or PowerPoint
- Experience using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience using Sketch and basic CSS are a plus
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.