Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We combine the power of more than three million members and online activists with the expertise of some 600 scientists, lawyers, and policy advocates across the globe to ensure the rights of all people to the air, the water, and the wild. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our people work across the world, with major offices in New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
Human Resources’ vision is to be valued as experts who develop leading people-solutions, foster a values-driven culture, and are sought out as strategic partners and we are committed to nurturing a work environment where our people thrive and work together to achieve our mission. We are looking for a talented and motivated HR Coordinator to be part of our client-facing team, responsible for providing HR Junior Generalist level support in the areas of recruiting, employee relations, compensation, benefits, policy administration, etc. Additionally, the HR Coordinator will provide key HR assistance to the overall organization, contributing on various staff engagement initiatives for HR roll-outs, along with ad hoc projects, and assisting with trouble shooting and working with both internal and external vendors and client(s).
This position is based in our San Francisco office and reports to the HR Manager, in our Chicago office.
- Coordinate employee lifecycle events (e.g. hires, promotions, transfers, leaves of absence, departures, etc.) for all temporary and permanent staff in assigned office and for specific programs/departments, working in conjunction with Payroll, IT, and Facilities as applicable.
- Assist HR Partners with recruiting including but not limited to: resume review, phone screens, reference checks, postings, close positions (iCIMS), preparing pricing, conducting background checks and sending hire letters etc.
- Assist with special projects and institution-wide HR and staff engagement initiatives such as but not limited to quarterly orientation events, performance management, and open enrollment
- Assist systems administration with routine information and technology tasks
- Analyze and synthesize data, create reports as needed
- Conduct audits of new hire paperwork, and other HR programs, and recommend corrective actions
- Assist with coordinating training for NRDC staff including set-up, registration, collecting feedback, and tracking course participation
- Provide a high level of customer service to our staff, including acting as a first line of interaction with staff on HR services such as benefits
- Schedule and organize departmental meetings and conference calls
- Recruit, train, supervise and mentor the HR Intern(s)
- Manage HR Acuity (employee relations database)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent work experience
- 2-4 years’ experience in human resources, preferably in a similar role and some background in project coordination preferred
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship building, communication, customer service and organizational skills are required; timely completion and attention to detail are expected as is the ability to make decisions and access situations with the “big picture” in mind
- Ability to work independently, organize and coordinate multiple tasks, set priorities, follow organizational procedures, and performs quickly and accurately under deadlines.
- Ability to communicate ideas, proposals and decisions in a professional manner
- Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Strong reporting and presentation skills.
- Ability to conduct research, analyze material logically, and share ideas and recommendations clearly.
- A proactive approach that is intuitive, ability to follow-up and anticipate circumstances
- Ability to work accurately and with composure under deadline pressure
- Thrive in an environment where multiple activities are on going
- Highly trustworthy and able to treat confidential information sensitively
- Experience or interest in HR and its related work
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, religious creed, religious observance, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual preference or orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, marital status, military service and veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, pregnancy, childbirth, medical condition as defined by applicable state or federal law, physical or mental handicap or disability, genetic information or predisposition, arrest or conviction records, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, and sex offenses or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org