Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We combine the power of more than three million members and online activists with the expertise of some 600 scientists, lawyers, and policy advocates across the globe to ensure the rights of all people to the air, the water, and the wild. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our people work across the world, with major offices in New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Compliance Manager to join the Human Resources Department in our Washington D.C. office. Human Resources’ vision is to be valued as experts who develop leading people-solutions, foster a values-driven culture, and are sought out as strategic partners and we are committed to nurturing a work environment where our people thrive and work together to achieve our mission. We are looking for a talented and motivated HR Compliance Manager to join our team to manage the ever changing regulatory and legal landscape of the Operational processes within HR.
This position reports to the Deputy Director, HR Operations in NY and will be located in our D.C. office.
- Maintain and manage completion of a comprehensive calendar of process control/audit activities spanning across the processes & procedures of the HR Operations units (Benefits, Budgeting & Finance, Compensation, and Systems/Data Management); build in ad-hoc checkpoint requirements as needed
Reviewing & signing off on regular and ad-hoc processes performed within HR Operations such as:
- Annual 403b True-up calculations
- Monthly audit of 403b ER contribution amounts & new enrollments
- Ongoing management of maximum contribution limits which vary by age groups for staff
- Review of payroll deductions
- Regular review of HR data & record keeping with particular focus on areas of risk in regards to employee data retention
- Partner with colleagues in Corporate Counsel and Finance to develop risk mitigation strategies for retirement benefit plans
- Build ongoing process review/improvement plans to ensure clear, comprehensive control points to enhance process integrity; work with process leads to build in changes where required
- Regularly conduct research to stay apprised of changes to the legal and regulatory landscape as relates to Benefits, Compensation, and Data Protection; Integrate learnings to effectively reduce risk exposure where possible
- Preparation of reports for senior management and external regulatory bodies as appropriate
- Develop and maintain effective record keeping & processes associated with the financial management for HR in partnership with budget approvers and Finance; providing governance over the approval and tracking processes
- Partner with Finance to develop and maintain robust reporting on resource allocations for major grants
- Serve as gatekeeper to requests for sensitive data to ensure no Compliance concerns
- Timely completion and concentrated attention to detail are expected in carrying out these tasks, as is the ability to assess situations with the "big picture" in mind. This is a brand-new role at NRDC so there will be an element of creativity involved in shaping the day to day activities while requiring a high degree of self-direction.
- Approximately 10+ years of experience in a Compliance and Legal/Regulatory focused roles
- Developed understanding/appreciation of the highly regulatory nature of HR
- Demonstrated ability to perform research and integrate findings effectively to resolve complex legal issues/questions
- Experience working in a non-profit environment is preferable
- Ability to build and manage a work plan to complete on schedule in partnership with cross-functional colleagues
- Self-motivated, methodical, and autonomous working style with demonstrated ability to work independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); advanced Excel skills an advantage
- Possess strong written, verbal and people skills
- Possess strong organizational skills and collaborative management style
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, religious creed, religious observance, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual preference or orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, marital status, military service and veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, pregnancy, childbirth, medical condition as defined by applicable state or federal law, physical or mental handicap or disability, genetic information or predisposition, arrest or conviction records, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, and sex offenses or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org