The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is one of the nation’s most effective environmental action organizations. We use law, science, and the support of some 3 million members and activists to protect human health and the environment which supports it, as well as the planet’s wildlife and wild places. Founded in 1970, NRDC staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws. Today, our staff of nearly 600 passionate environmental advocates – including lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, the development team and others – work to protect and create environmental progress at home and abroad from offices in New York; Washington, DC; Chicago; Los Angeles; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
Under the direction of the Deputy Director of Membership, the Membership Gift Officer will develop a portfolio of mid-level donors in the greater Chicago region whose gifts range from $1,000 to more than $10,000 dollars annually, through personal visits, and regular phone and email contact. This position will cultivate relationships with people in this giving segment to move them into larger commitments by providing personalized attention, appreciation and information on programs of their interest. The primary focus will be on donors in the Membership Leadership Giving Circles, however, this Gift Officer will also grow donor’s gifts and screen for major and planned giving prospects.
- Manage a dynamic portfolio of mid-level donors in Chicago to cultivate to higher giving levels
- Develop personalized relationships with key mid-level donors to help them accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions
- Collaborate closely with Membership Leadership Giving team to ensure best communication and service to key upgrade prospects
- Coordinate small donor gatherings with potential prospects in the region
- Use systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects
- Track and report progress using specific metrics
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 3 years fundraising or related experience
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, and have the ability to handle simultaneous, ongoing projects
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills to engage and cultivate relationships with donors along the pipeline
- Keen interest in people and a desire to significantly increase income from a select segment of the mid-level giving program
- Efficient multi-tasker and flexible in working towards philanthropy goals
- Working knowledge of computer databases and Microsoft Office is required
- Keen interest in nature and the environment is preferred
- Some travel may be required
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter. No phone calls or faxes please. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing:
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org