The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
Our Litigation team works on cases spanning a broad range of environmental issues, such as combating climate change, protecting public health, promoting environmental justice, curbing air and water pollution, preserving wildlife and wild places, and reducing overfishing. In recent years, the Litigation team has brought cases to defend the National Monuments, challenge the suspension of the Clean Water Rule, safeguard the people of Flint, Michigan from continued exposure to lead in drinking water, remediate toxic pollution in the Penobscot River, and abate mold in New York City public housing for residents with asthma.
NRDC is seeking a Litigation Assistant based in our Washington, DC office to support our fast-growing Litigation team.
- Process invoices and expense reports, and maintain detailed budget trackers
- Proofread, format, copy, scan, mail, and fax documents
- Schedule meetings, book travel, and organize retreats
- Assist in hiring and orienting interns
- Assist other team Litigation Assistants and office Program Assistants as needed
- Draft and edit legal correspondence
- Prepare, proofread, and fact-check documents for court filings; assist with filing and service
- Research and summarize court rules
- Maintain extensive case files (electronic, hard copy, and archived off-site)
- Conduct factual research to advance existing and develop new cases
- Review documents produced by other parties in litigation
- Interview NRDC team members and draft declarations related to pending litigation
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1+ years of administrative or paralegal experience (or equivalent) preferred
- Ability to learn quickly, apply institutional procedures, and execute with excellence
- Excellent organizational skills, time management, accuracy and attention to detail
- Team player with a positive attitude and sense of humor
- Superior research, editing, and data synthesis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to confidentiality and discretion while working with sensitive information
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Interest in social justice and environmental issues is a plus
- 2-year commitment to this position strongly preferred
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume, cover letter, transcript, and short writing sample through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.