The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 600 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
The Human Resources Department at NRDC is looking for a Learning and Development Manager. The Manager will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of innovative professional development and learning experiences that meet the needs of our changing organization and help grow the Learning culture The preferred location is our New York office. However, we are open to this position being based in our Washington DC, San Francisco or Chicago office.
We are looking for an experienced professional to help create staff education and development initiatives that meet learning assessed needs; and, to develop and deliver learning content using internal and external resources. The ideal candidate has demonstrated success in the development and implementation of initiatives including leadership education, diversity & inclusion training, train the trainer initiatives, and building job-based curricula. They must have the ability to succeed in a fast-paced work environment, be able to multi-task and to effectively balance strategic and tactical priorities.
The successful candidate will work effectively with NRDC staff and teams of administrative professionals, lawyers, scientists and policy analysts who protect public health and the environment through advocacy, action and education.
- Assess NRDC’s short- and long-term development and education needs.
- In partnership with the Chief DEI Officer, develop a comprehensive education and training plan to support and enhance NRDC’s strategic growth, diversity & inclusion and effectiveness.
- Design and develop learning programs across various delivery mediums, including in-person training, virtual sessions, e-learning modules as well as on the job experience creating a framework for assessing, measuring and tracking training success.
- Lead facilitator to conduct required and recommended training sessions.
- Provides end-to-end oversight for learning solutions through all phases of the learning framework: Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation and Evaluation.
- Provide oversight and ongoing impact analysis and evaluation of all training programs, vendors, systems and tools in partnership with HR.
- In partnership with the Chief DEI Officer, develop and deliver education and training programs on diversity and inclusion, including bias, sensitivity and cultural competency.
- Identify and leverage both well established and innovative education tools, programs, delivery mechanisms to meet NRDC’s needs.
- Minimum 7 - 8 years in the Learning & Development space, hands-on workplace training, development, staff education experience. Varied experience, e.g. in house, consulting, for profit, nonprofit useful.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience successfully designing and implementing staff education strategies. At least 2+ years working in Diversity & Inclusion preferred.
- Experience in all aspects of an L&D function, including needs assessment, designing and delivering training, and evaluating its effectiveness.
- Knowledgeable of current and emerging diversity and inclusion principles and best practices.
- Accountable for the Learning Management System ownership, including structural framework, content building, staff engagement, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Degree or experience in Education, Training, Human Resources, or Organization Development, ASTD/ATD certification a plus.
- Some travel required.
Professional Skill Requirements:
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills; facilitation and writing skills.
- Demonstrated track record in training, education, staff development.
- Well acquainted with established and innovative management development programs and other education content.
- Effective at influencing at all levels across the organization, ability to be both strategic and execute with great thoughtfulness and attention to detail, and a dedication to delivering work of the highest caliber.
- Familiar with various training platforms and delivery mechanisms, e.g. webinars, cloud-based content; able to deliver content effectively in a virtual environment.
- Success leveraging training and education into demonstrated skill acquisition and behavioral growth.
- Ability to understand organizational needs and culture and translate them into education and development initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the clients' business and develop both strategic and tactical solutions to tangible business challenges.
- Process and detail oriented, including strong organization, time management and prioritization skills.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, team-based environment.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org