The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
We are seeking a creative and experienced individual to join the NRDC Digital Technology Team and help build websites, web applications, and hybrid mobile apps for both NRDC and its 501(c)(4) affiliate, the NRDC Action Fund. The position reports to the Digital Technology Director.
You should possess a strong technical knowledge of content management systems and programing. Responsibilities include but are not limited to implementation, testing, reporting, documentation, deployment and debug operations.
We're looking for a professional who has proven web development experience building websites from the ground up with both front-end theming and back-end content management in Drupal, WordPress, or similar systems. We value strong interpersonal skills, empathy for others, the ability to work strongly in a team, a desire to help the mission of NRDC and a knack for describing technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Build websites using WordPress, Gatsby, and other possible CMS or Static Site Generators.
- Build working static prototypes from Invision wireframes using Bootstrap and the NRDC design system.
- Administer bug fixes and features to the NRDC.org website and various microsites on Drupal, WordPress, and some static site generators.
- Provide input on the best coding techniques or technology enhancements that can make our workflow and output more efficient.
- Oversee code reviews of vendor work for standards compliance and efficiency.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in front-end and back-end development.
- Strong understanding of the web design and development process.
- Expert understanding of web technologies, databases and hosting platforms.
- Strong experience managing multiple web projects at one time and meeting deadlines consistently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to produce quality code but also an understanding that perfection is the enemy of progress.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Understanding of waterfall and agile project management.
- Ability to meet deadlines, handle and prioritize multiple simultaneous requests, manage laterally and upwards, all with a professional and courteous attitude.
- Ability to identify and implement process and policy improvements.
- Comfortable working in a small, collaborative team environment
- Exhibit passion, creativity and commitment.
Priority will be given to candidates with a combination of some of the following expertise:
- Experience with SQL and ability to run queries, administer with Sequel Pro or similar application.
- Experience with Bootstrap framework, SCSS and mix-ins.
- Experience with Gulp and/or Webpack.
- Working knowledge of RESTful web services and using APIs to create custom applications.
- Experience developing for all modern web browsers and devices.
- Experience developing Mobile first Responsive UI design.
- Agency or non-profit experience preferred.
- Familiarity with Scrum.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Apply link: https://careers-nrdc.icims.com/jobs/4095/full-stack-web-developer/job?mode=view