The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
E2 is an NRDC affiliate and a national community of business leaders who promote sound environmental policy that builds economic prosperity. E2 provides an independent, nonpartisan resource for understanding the business perspective on environmental issues. Working with business, environmental and non-traditional allies, E2 helps shape state and national policy that’s good for the economy and the environment.
NRDC is seeking an experienced advocacy and outreach professional to join the Center for Policy Advocacy department’s Federal Affairs team and lead federal advocacy efforts for NRDC’s E2 (Environmental Entrepreneurs) business affiliate. This position requires someone with both proven legislative and outreach experience and the ability to work with business leaders and volunteer members. This person will work to increase E2’s presence and effectiveness on Capitol Hill and with federal agencies, and coordinate with state advocates and E2 chapter directors to develop and implement state advocacy activities that complement federal goals at the intersection of the environment and the economy. This includes policies to advance clean energy and clean transportation to reduce carbon pollution; improving industrial and agricultural practices to reduce pollution and protecting our drinking water and our ocean economy.
- Work with NRDC federal affairs team and E2 staff to help develop and implement legislative advocacy strategies and to support federal policy goals from E2’s unique business and economic perspective.
- Work with the E2 Executive Director to determine strategy and establish and direct E2’s membership advocacy at the federal level, and to integrate the work of E2’s regional staff advocates and E2 chapters to complement federal goals.
- Coordinate with E2 state and regional advocates located across the country.
- Prepare and manage federal advocacy trips, meetings, briefings and draft sign-on letters and other materials for E2 and its members.
- Represent E2 on Capitol Hill, executive agencies, and with outside organizations.
- Develop materials used to inform and persuade policymakers and the general public.
- Respond to inquiries from Capitol Hill staff and members.
- Help develop and work with other coalitions to enhance advocacy before Congress.
- Work closely with E2 members across the country on advocacy issues.
- This is not an entry level position. At least 3-7 years of experience on the Hill or at a trade association or an advocacy organization that involved working closely with Congress is required. Please do not apply if you do not meet this qualification.
- Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills are a must.
- Ability to think strategically and holistically across advocacy, communication and member engagement is required.
- Although not required, preference is given for experience in energy and environmental issues.
- Although not required, prior business experience, or proven ability to advocate on behalf of businesses, is highly desirable.
- Experience in working with remote team members is highly desirable.
- Bachelor's degree or higher.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org