The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists,economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC’s digital advocacy and engagement efforts are growing fast in response to serious threats to our climate, environment, and health coming from the Trump administration and Congress. In response, NRDC is seeking to hire a new Digital Advocacy and Fundraising campaign manager to work closely with NRDC’s Communications and Membership Departments, issue experts and program staff, and our outside direct marketing agency, to develop and manage digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns. The position will also assist in the development and execution of strategies for recruiting and cultivating new, non-traditional activists and donors to help NRDC broaden our base of environmental supporters.
The position reports to the Senior Director of Digital Advocacy and Fundraising in NRDC’s Communications Department. We will prioritize candidates who can work in NRDC’s New York office, but will consider excellent candidates for our Washington, D.C. office.
- Develop, launch and manage multi-channel issue advocacy and fundraising campaigns on national and international issues. Key campaign tactics will include email, petitions, donations, digital ads, event invitations, social media, SMS and other mobile tools, website content marketing, and more.
- Write and edit email action alerts, fundraising appeals, eNewsletter blurbs, SMS copy, campaign plans, creative briefs, online video scripts, copy for graphics, and more.
- Coordinate planning and development of campaigns with other key Communications teams, including Social Media, Editorial, and Creative teams, and with departments outside of Comms, particularly Membership, Development, and Government Affairs.
- Ensure multi-channel campaigns are helping the department and the organization achieve their advocacy, fundraising, revenue, and new audience acquisition and engagement goals.
- Assist in managing paid and earned email and mobile number acquisition strategies that grow NRDC’s activist and donor support base, including online advertising on social media and websites, search marketing, list chaperoning, list appends, etc.
- Work to ensure successful promotion and engagement of our campaigns on social media, both with outside vendors and with Director of Social Media.
- Develop and incorporate testing strategies into campaigns.
- Assist in developing and producing reports summarizing the results of multi-channel campaigns and use analytics to make strategic and tactical campaign decisions.
- Applicants should have a minimum of 2-3 years professional experience in the digital advocacy and fundraising space, ideally with experience working on progressive national advocacy causes.
- Knowledge of digital engagement best practices is critical.
- Strong writing and editing skills are a must, including experience writing direct response advocacy and fundraising emails and the ability to adapt writing style to a pre-existing “voice”. Must also have an understanding of email and web copy writing best practices, demonstrated ability to produce copy that is clear, compelling and motivating, and can turn around copy on a same-day basis when news developments warrant it.
- Demonstrated experience thinking creatively about campaign and engagement techniques.
- Strong quantitative and analytics skills and understanding, and experience producing and analyzing digital advocacy and fundraising metrics in Excel.
- Experience acquiring and engaging new, non-traditional audiences is a plus.
- Working knowledge of eCRMs (Action Kit, Luminate Online, Salesforce, Salsa, Engaging Networks, etc.) and their technical capabilities as they relate to digital strategy and campaign planning is a plus.
- Applicant must be able to master complex issues, take direction, turn around plans and campaigns quickly and meet strict deadlines.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Apply link: https://careers-nrdc.icims.com/jobs/4173/digital-advocacy-%26-fundraising-campaign-manager/job?mode=view&mobile=false&width=743&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240