The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and the NRDC Action Fund have an immediate opening for a Digital Advocacy and Fundraising Campaign Manager.
NRDC is the country’s most effective environmental action group, with more than 3 million Members and online activists. Its staff of some 700 attorneys, scientists, and policy analysts works to protect the environment through courtroom action, legislative campaigns, and grassroots online activism.
The NRDC Action Fund is NRDC’s 501(c4) affiliate. The NRDC Action Fund’s mission is to build political support in the United States for protecting the planet and its people. In addition to its lobbying and other advocacy work, the NRDC Action Fund also supports candidates who stand up for environmental protection and holds accountable those who side with polluters rather than the public good.
NRDC and the NRDC Action Fund are expanding their digital advocacy, fundraising, and engagement activities in response to increasing threats from the Trump administration and in the lead-up to the 2020 elections.
We are seeking a creative and experienced digital campaigner to develop, execute, and manage multi-channel digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns, primarily for the NRDC Action Fund. Campaigns will focus on national and state legislative issues, and national and state elections. Key campaign tactics will include email, petitions, social media, SMS, digital ads, click-to-call, peer-to-peer texting, events, website content marketing, and other tactics.
Ideal candidates will have professional experience working with advocacy organizations, electoral campaigns, and/or consulting firms to utilize digital tools to mobilize people to take action online. Experience with on-the-ground grassroots or field organizing is also a plus. We will prioritize candidates who can work in our New York office. The position will report to NRDC’s Senior Digital Campaign Manager.
- Develop, execute, and manage multi-channel digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns
- Write and edit email action alerts, SMS messages, social media content, online video scripts, copy for graphics, web promotions, and other content as needed
- Work with other members of the Digital Advocacy & Fundraising Team, NRDC/NRDC Action Fund Communications staff, and/or outside consultants to draft campaign plans and creative briefs
- Coordinate planning and development of campaigns with other key Communications teams, including Social Media, Editorial, and Creative teams, and with departments outside of Comms, particularly Membership, Development, and Government Affairs
- Ensure multi-channel campaigns are helping the team achieve advocacy, fundraising, revenue, and new audience acquisition and engagement goals
- Work with the Digital Marketing Acquisition Manager on paid and earned email and mobile number acquisition strategies that grow the NRDC and NRDC Action Fund lists and activist and donor base, including online advertising on social media and websites, search marketing, list chaperoning, list appends, or other tactics as needed
- Work to ensure successful promotion and engagement of our campaigns on social media, both with outside vendors and with the Social Media Director and Social Media Editor
- Develop and incorporate testing strategies into campaigns
- Assist in developing and producing reports summarizing the results of multi-channel campaigns and use data and analytics to make strategic and tactical campaign decisions
- Represent NRDC and NRDC Action Fund at offline advocacy events (public hearings, town halls, rallies, etc.), including organizing in-person meetups with members and activists, staffing tables, and managing other on-the-ground grassroots activities as needed
- Applicants should have a minimum of three years’ professional experience in digital advocacy, ideally with experience working on progressive national advocacy causes and/or political or electoral campaigns
- Knowledge of both digital engagement and on-the-ground political organizing best practices is critical; event organizing experience is a plus
- Strong writing and editing skills are a must, including experience writing direct response advocacy emails and the ability to adapt writing style to a pre-existing “voice”
- Must also have an understanding of email and web copy writing best practices, demonstrated ability to produce copy that is clear, compelling and motivating, and ability to turn around copy on a same-day basis when news developments warrant it
- Experience producing and analyzing response rates reports in Excel
- Working knowledge of eCRMs (Luminate Online, Salesforce, Salsa, Engaging Networks, etc.), and experience doing production in these systems, is a plus
- Candidates with a deep concern for the natural world, a belief in the power of grassroots action to make a difference, and a commitment to using a large membership and online citizen network to help protect the environment are preferred
- Applicant must be able to master complex issues, take direction, collaborate with fellow team members and staff, turn around plans and campaigns quickly, and meet strict deadline
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org