Deadline for submission: August 15th, 2020
Work Schedule: Full-time
Conservation Colorado is seeking a Transportation Advocate who will be responsible for developing and implementing advocacy campaign plans in a variety of decision-making venues including the state legislature and state regulatory boards to win policy victories that reduce carbon pollution from the transportation sector and provide more affordable clean transportation options. Key components of this work include developing and executing comprehensive campaign plans, high-level strategy development, leading and supporting the development of policies, managing and convening coalitions, building strong relationships with diverse stakeholders and key leaders/decision makers, and working to ensure our policies and
campaigns do not disproportionately impact communities of color.
About Conservation Colorado
Conservation Colorado is committed to protecting our climate, air, lands, water, and communities. Our work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects our commitment to racial and social justice particularly by ensuring that policy victories are shared by all Coloradans including disproportionately impacted and frontline communities. We achieve these goals by organizing people and electing conservation-minded policymakers. We work closely
with policy leaders, citizen activists, businesses and other conservation nonprofits, and have built a reputation as one of the leading conservation advocacy organizations in the region. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
What you’ll do
As the transportation advocate you will be a critical part of our team as we work to address climate change in Colorado. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team developing strategy and campaigns to address greenhouse gas emissions in Colorado from the transportation sector, the number one emitter of GHGs. You will serve as a critical connector between decision makers, coalition partners, and Conservation Colorado staff and members to achieve policy victories. In this role you will work directly with the Government Affairs Director while also having the opportunity to work directly with the organizations Deputy Director and Executive Director. The primary responsibilities of the role are:
Policy and Campaigns
● Work with staff & partners to develop & implement comprehensive campaign plans to reduce carbon pollution from transportation and provide more affordable clean transportation options.
● Provide issue area expertise and stay informed about policy developments in public transit, electric vehicles, RTD, and other areas as required.
● Ensure that our equity principles are embedded within all transportation campaigns.
Legislative and Government Relations Work
● Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials, state & federal agencies, business allies, and other key stakeholders.
● Monitor legislation, coordinate testimony for hearings, and undertake other advocacy efforts as needed during the legislative session.
● Participate in the organization’s election work helping to ensure pro-conservation majorities in the state legislature and in key city and county governments.
In addition to your regular responsibilities, all staff are expected to participate in the organization’s fundraising efforts, and commit to our organizational efforts around equity & inclusivity.
To be successful in this job, you will be a campaigner at heart who can apply a keen understanding of power building and political strategy to make policy victories a reality and can do so in an ever-changing environment that requires flexibility & grace under pressure. More specifically, you will have:
● A minimum of three years’ experience developing and implementing advocacy or issue campaign plans.
● Experience writing and implementing campaign plans that include sophisticated political analyses and that balance short term priorities with long term goals.
● Share our theory of change of protecting the environment via policy levers and a belief in the power of people to influence decision makers.
● Proven experience working on teams or in coalitions that exhibit a rich mix of diversity in terms of race and socio-economic backgrounds and a willingness to do the personal and organizational work around diversity, equity, and inclusivity.
● Capacity to build relationships that lead to respect and trust, motivate people to get the work done, and navigate difficult conversations in a meaningful & respectful manner.
Spanish/English bilingual is a skill we value, but is not a requirement. The position requires a willingness to work some evening and weekend hours as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
This job offers an opportunity to engage people to find solutions to some of the most important environmental issues in Colorado and work with a great team that is committed to a better, more equitable future. It will be challenging, inspiring, and sometimes frustrating, but you’ll be making a big difference.
We provide high-quality, zero-deductible health insurance and a strong benefits package that includes a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with match, at least 28 days of paid time off in your first year, and parental leave and a sabbatical program. The full-time salary range for this role is between $54,000 - $67,000, with exact salary depending on experience and, new staff rarely starting at the top of the range.
We are committed to building a more diverse and inclusive organization and conservation movement to fully represent and engage all Coloradans and to build as powerful a movement as we can. Recruiting staff that better reflects Colorado is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, race, ethnicity, geographies, political affiliation, and all other identities represented in Colorado or protected by law.
If this job truly speaks to you please fill out this short questionnaire and send a cover letter and resume by August 15th to Katie Belgard with the subject line “Transportation Advocate” to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.