Temporary Program Assistant
One Year Term
Clean Vehicles Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
Washington, DC Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit working to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis, effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for addressing global warming, advancing sustainable food and agriculture policy, promoting clean energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
The Clean Vehicles (CV) Program at UCS works to cut oil use and global warming pollution from transportation while building a cleaner more equitable transportation system. We are a multi-disciplinary, ambitious, and creative team using science to inform solutions to growing transportation challenges. The Program Assistant is the program’s backbone, providing administrative and logistical support to promote the effectiveness of the entire team.
- Provide program administration support by developing CV presence on SharePoint365 and serve as point of contact with IT consultant, and other technical challenges.
- Organize and archive CV reports, letters, press clips, and other products. Collaborate with other DC office staff around meeting room scheduling and coordination. Greet visitors; provide meeting support including ordering and setup of catering and refreshments.
- Ensure timely payment of consultants and contract set up and management, reimbursements, and purchase records.
- Maintain staff calendar and oversee time tracking reports.
- Provide new staff with orientation to administrative procedures.
- Maintain sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Keep track of CV activities and accomplishments Keep up-to-date on program work to be able to quickly shift priorities based on program needs.
- Support hiring processes as warranted by helping diversify candidate pools by working with HR to disseminate job announcements.
- Coordinate annual planning retreat and process. Work with Director and Deputy Director to coordinate fiscal year planning documents, budget, and staff time budget.
- Support the development and execution of CV events.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is preferred.
- Position requires considerable self-motivation and familiarity with office and administrative support procedures, competence in word processing and spreadsheet software including Microsoft Word and Excel, Microsoft Outlook email and scheduling software, database use and maintenance, and web research skills
- Strong organizational abilities and good written and oral communication skills are needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential.
- A successful program assistant will have strong administrative skills, a proven ability to pay attention to details, the capacity to work on multiple projects at one time, the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and to interact professionally.
- Two years of comparable experience as a program, administrative, or research assistant is required.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
You may spend extended periods at computer terminal, but you will have extensive contact with your colleagues. Limited overnight travel of less than five days per year may be required.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we are dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Washington, DC office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $41,800 annualized. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter, resume and a writing sample. Please include salary requirements in the cover letter. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: April 17th or until filled.