Climate & Energy Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
As program assistant, you will provide a broad range of administrative and logistical support for the Climate & Energy Program (C&E) in our Cambridge, MA office.
Skills and Topic Keywords: Non-profit, Administrative/Executive Assistant, Research Assistant, Administrative Support, Event Planning
- As a member of the C&E team, you will assist the team in various ways, including scheduling and logistics support and note taking at meetings teleconferences and webinars.; You may also provide some support for senior C&E staff.
- You’ll provide production assistance for reports and other materials, which could include compiling data; organizing fact-checking material such as data, photos, and graphics; dissemination and reprints.
- You’ll manage contracts, invoice payment and tracking of program spending.
- In support of events, you’ll coordinate participant lists and invitations, help create meeting agendas, arrange travel for participants and staff, manage event logistics, and other event planning tasks as requested.
- Help with planning and logistics for activist and expert trainings and action alerts to support the success of C&E campaign goals.
Qualifications and Experience
- Position requires 1-2 years of relevant experience as an administrative, executive or research assistant.
- Position requires considerable self-motivation, attention to details, familiarity with office and administrative support procedures, competence in word processing and spreadsheet software, and excellent email software and web research skills.
- Strong organizational abilities and good written and oral communication skills are needed.
- Excellent personal relation skills are essential.
- You must be able to work both independently and in teams, and to interact professionally with senior scientists, U.S. and international policymakers and colleagues, maintaining sensitive and confidential information with discretion. .
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is preferred.
- Experience with conducting web research, maintaining databases, event planning, and familiarity with climate and energy issues is preferred
May spend extended periods at computer. Very occasional lifting and carrying of heavy boxes may be required. None/little travel required.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $42,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: October 6, 2019 or until filled.