Human Resources Representative
Union of Concerned Scientists
Cambridge, MA Office
Are you both people-oriented and devoted to accuracy and detail? Our team is seeking a Human Resources Representative to provide general support for our department. You will be part of a team serving over 200 employees in four cities (and some remote staff).
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war. Come join us and make a difference!
As HR Representative, you will assist with a variety of HR responsibilities with a focus on recruitment, training, and hiring. You will maintain excellent systems, troubleshoot challenges, and coordinate closely with the HR team on multiple tasks while complying with policies and standard procedures. This position requires a compassionate yet task-oriented person with good judgment and the ability to work well independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Assist with UCS recruitment and hiring systems and practices to ensure the employment of a diverse and highly qualified workforce and improve recruiting and orientation processes.
- Help manage recruitment, job advertisement processes and postings, with a focus on diversity and inclusion in the workforce
- Help manage the application system, maintain best practices for applicant communication and reporting.
- Provide interview and hiring process support and coaching to HR Managers and to Hiring Managers.
- Create and update records and documents in organization-specific databases and other resources
- Handle, respect, maintain and safeguard confidential data.
- Oversee training coordination and organize training scheduling
- Assist in tracking 6-month reviews and annual review processes
- Assist with managing relationships with temp agencies; liaise between supervisors and temp agencies for temp hires
- Assist with internship program and help develop a simple mentorship program
- Perform file maintenance, data entry, and general administrative support tasks
- Help prepare hire letters, track onboarding, and help coordinate orientations.
- Maintain applicant tracking system
- Organize and assist with HR event-planning logistics
- Mindfully create an environment that is supportive and inclusive for all employees by providing excellent customer service
Qualifications and experience
Considerable self-motivation, attention to detail, and knowledge of office and administrative support procedures, including word processing, spreadsheet management, and use of database software; good written and oral communication skills; interest in HR legal concepts; good judgment; a positive team-oriented attitude; excellent personal skills, including an ability to work independently and in teams, and to interact professionally with individuals with a wide range of skills and responsibilities are all required. Strong attention to detail and overall commitment to accuracy and confidentiality.
BA or equivalent. Coursework in HR topics preferred. Three to five years of comparable and relevant experience in Human Resources administration and/or as an Executive Assistant. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects and responsibilities for extended periods of time, and to be flexible in responding to fast-changing organization needs. HR Certification would be a plus.
May spend extended periods at computer. Little or no travel required.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in our Cambridge, MA office. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary is about $52,500. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter and resume to https://www.workable.com/j/60407F0513. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: October 27, 2019 or until filled.