Digital Marketing Specialist
Union of Concerned Scientists
Cambridge, MA (preferred) or Washington, DC Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation, and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
Science is too often sidelined from important public decision making by people with something to gain…here’s your chance to push back. UCS is looking for a creative digital marketer to help create the advertising campaigns and grassroots messaging needed to inspire people to take action to defend science, help stop global warming, and protect the planet.
This integral member of the UCS digital engagement team will be overall responsible for managing the organization’s digital advertising, online activist recruitment, and SMS/messaging programs to best maximize visibility for UCS and our issues, engage supporters in our campaigns, and contribute to campaign impact. In addition, the Digital Marketing Specialist will assist in ensuring the effectiveness of our email advocacy strategy by working with campaign staff to edit outgoing email content, ensuring organizational messaging consistency and maximizing supporter engagement.
- Work with program and communications staff to conceptualize paid digital advertising efforts to raise the visibility of our campaigns, outreach efforts, reports, and experts and engage supporters in our work.
- Manage the organization’s google AdWords account to ensure we’re meeting base-line requirements and maximizing opportunities to drive traffic to key content on the UCS website.
- Work with program, communications, and development staff to conceptualize and implement SMS and Messenger campaigns that will engage our supporters, contribute to campaign impact, and raise money.
- Ensure proper tracking of all needed metrics for evaluating the results of our digital marketing efforts.
- Work with Data Analyst to run reports on our digital advertising program and SMS/messaging program to evaluate efforts and make strategic recommendations for future efforts.
- Edit action alerts, ensuring all messages are engaging and optimized for conversion.
- Review online forms to ensure they are optimized for conversion, trackable, and recording data properly in the online CRM.
- Develop and execute annual plans to recruit new activists, email subscribers, and SMS subscribers for the organization.
- Work closely with Director of Engagement and Online Engagement Manager to coordinate messaging and outreach across communications channels.
- Keep abreast of vendor updates to online tools and best practices in online marketing and assist in updating user manuals and tips sheets for UCS staff.
Qualifications and Experience
Must have a proven track record of developing and implementing effective online advocacy and advertising campaigns. Position requires excellent copywriting and editing skills for advocacy, email, and digital marketing messages. Proven ability to analyze metrics and make strategic decisions based on results. Outstanding attention to detail, creativity, and ability to work well in a team environment and independently is essential. Capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines with ease. Professional web experience, knowledge of HTML, experience with Google and Facebook ads programs, and solid experience working in a content management and constituent relationship management system is required. Spanish writing skills are a plus.
Position requires a minimum of three to five years of comparable-level experience including five years of experience in online activism and digital advertising. Proven ability to engage online constituents and grow online supporter lists.
May spend extended periods at computer terminal. Some minimal overnight travel may be required per year.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA or Washington, DC office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $52,500. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter and resume.
In the cover letter please confirm that the listed salary meets your requirements. Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: March 27, 2020, or until filled.