The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for addressing global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation, and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war. Within UCS, the Development department raises the majority of the organization’s operational budget from individuals and private foundations.
Do you have an affinity for research and a knack for uncovering hard-to-find information? The UCS Foundations Team seeks an organized, meticulous researcher who can help us raise support for our organization’s crucial work. As the Development Intern, you will conduct the research we need to expand, qualify, and cultivate a pool of funding prospects to support UCS’s growing programs.
- Using subscription-based research tools and public search engines to find organizations that might be interested in funding UCS work.
- Building profiles of prospective and current funders.
- Assisting with data input and maintenance.
- Leading the team’s file system clean up and creating a historical archive.
- Other projects supporting the team’s goals as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to work with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently for extended periods of time, and persistence in researching hard-to-find information.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel).
- Familiarity with and comfort navigating online databases and research tools.
- Experience working in an office setting is preferred.
Spends extended periods at computer monitor and keyboard.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. UCS is committed to building a workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse of backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours, and Location: This is a full-time, 12-week internship based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. We are looking for someone to start late May 2019. For those who meet all position requirements, the compensation is $17.50/hour. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter and resume to https://www.workable.com/j/59E501E736. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. Deadline: May 3, 2019 or until filled.