Data Entry Assistant
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for addressing global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
Do you have the editor's eagle eye that can catch a typo a mile away? Do you go into a state of personal contentment from the calm of typing numbers into a spreadsheet while hours mysteriously fly by? Would you secretly beam with pride (and true job satisfaction) when you later see UCS’s leadership use those same numbers to help further our important mission? If so, you might be the perfect addition to our Gift and Data Processing Team.
This position's primary function is data-entry and batch-based gift processing in a fast-paced and busy team of the Development Department. The person in this position must be a natural stickler for database hygiene practices and for general clerical organization at the highest level of detail. The ideal Data Entry Assistant would be enthusiastic about working independently for long periods of time, even when completing routine data-entry tasks. Someone who is a perfect fit for this position would gain a great deal of job satisfaction in maintaining a high degree of efficiency and accuracy while enforcing the business rules associated with UCS’s database coding practices. This individual would have a natural ability to scan large data sets to isolate small issues – with a keen editor’s eye for catching mistakes and seeing patterns that may point to inefficiencies not just in their own work but in the work of the gift processing team as a whole – proactively leading the team to improve habits that reduce errors and streamline data-entry procedures.
Using the Raiser’s Edge Batch feature, this person will spend 75% of their time entering UCS donations with close attention to detail, setting and refining batch templates as needed to improve efficiencies. This process includes:
- Analyzing daily gift bundles to determine appropriate funds, appeals, packages, and other relevant coding for each gift to be processed.
- Developing a detailed understanding of internal protocols for processing complex gifts such as soft-credits, IRA gifts, and workplace giving.
- Performing proactive self-checks and personal audits of one’s own workflow, and in some cases, that of the larger team, with the intention seeing patterns that can lead the gift processing team to adopt habits to reduce errors and streamline gift-entry procedures over time.
The remaining 25% will be devoted to related data-entry work such as:
- Making address updates, name corrections, and attribute coding fixes, by scanning PDFs showing data and handwritten notes from donors.
- Organizing and sorting various forms of incoming paper mail.
- Process address updates from returned mail.
- Create weekly mailings to notify donors of errors encountered when processing their donations.
- Participate in ongoing and short-term database cleanup projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to work with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to work independently for extended periods of time to accomplish daily responsibilities.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook is required.
- Ability to work in a team environment to streamline processes and brainstorm best practices is required.
- Familiarity with complex relational databases, basic bookkeeping, and experience with The Raiser’s Edge donor management software is preferred.
- Two years of experience in an office setting or working with data entry is strongly preferred.
Spends extended periods at computer monitor and keyboard, occasionally lifts and carries stock boxes or bulk mail.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. UCS is committed to building a workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking candidates who bring diversity of background and perspective to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge office. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $42,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at:
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter and resume to:
Please confirm in the cover letter that the listed salary meets your expectations. Submit in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please.
Deadline: March 27, 2020 or until filled