Customer Service Representative (Donor Relations)
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
Last year, more than 130,000 members contributed more than $13 million to support the work of UCS, thanks to the work of our busy and well-coordinated fundraising team. Now we’re seeking your Customer Service Representative skills as our team’s first point of contact for members and supporters who call into our office with questions and concerns. You are calm and collected on the phone, efficient and eager when solving problems, and organized and on top of the many activities the fundraising team oversees.
This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the work UCS does, how our department supports this work, and about fundraising in general.
- Daily tasks include answering the membership telephone line and reviewing and responding to the public email inbox.
- Responsible for providing excellent donor relations by answering a variety of inquiries and resolving membership questions. Works with other UCS staff as needed.
- Assists with database management, including updating and maintaining accurate donor records, doing occasional data entry, tracking donor interest areas, and running weekly/monthly department reports.
- Handles logistics for the monthly giving program, including outstanding customer service to monthly donors who call or email, updating recurring gift changes and cancellations, and working with vendors to resolve donor issues and ensure accuracy of donor records.
- Provides administrative support for the mid-level donor program
- Maintains schedule of state and federal workplace giving campaigns and submits applications for eligible campaigns throughout the year.
- Writes and sends assorted correspondence to members
- Sorts and handles hard copy mail that is returned to us daily from lockbox vendor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Excellent customer service skills are required.
- An interest in interacting with UCS members and the general public by phone on an ongoing daily basis is required, including a warm, tactful, but efficient phone manner, and a tolerance for customer service calls that can be repetitive and/or difficult
- Database and Microsoft Office proficient. Knowledge of Raisers Edge a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail.
- Writing and proofreading skills are desirable.
- Familiarity with and interest in fundraising techniques and donor relations is preferred.
- Work requires one years of comparable and relevant experience.
- Occasionally lifts and carries stock boxes or bulk mail; spends extended periods at computer terminal.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $42,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Go to https://apply.workable.com/j/B6724B0713 and upload a cover letter and resume. Please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: January 12, 2020 or until filled.