The Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit our website at: allianceforthebay.org.
Position Announcement: RiverSmart Program Assistant
Position Location: Washington, DC
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring together individuals, organizations, businesses, and to find collaborative solutions, to build a strong commitment to stewardship, and to deliver innovative, broadly-supported programs that benefit the land, waters and residents of the Chesapeake Bay. The Alliance implements local programs that connect people to their local river and becomes directly involved in local restoration efforts. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Richmond, VA, and Washington, DC. The DC office focuses on work within the District of Columbia and the DC metropolitan area.
The RiverSmart Homes and RiverSmart Rebate programs, offered within the District of Columbia, have been designed to help reduce stormwater runoff from private properties. Through these programs, property owners receive funding towards installing stormwater retention practices to infiltrate more runoff on their property and keep it out of the sewer systems and local waterways. Through a cooperative agreement, the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) assists the District of Columbia Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE) to oversee and coordinate the installation of several stormwater retention practices as a part of their RiverSmart programs.
The RiverSmart Program Assistant job is a full-time office position, located in Washington, DC, that involves some travel within and around DC for meetings, site inspections, and events. Administrative responsibilities, customer service, event coordination, and resource development will be required. The successful candidate will show creativity, organization, and foresight in implementing the duties of program assistant. The demonstrated ability to inspect conservation landscaping and coordinate events is a plus. While the successful candidate will immediately step into existing programs, the Alliance seeks out applicants who can develop creative, innovative solutions, and projects of their own in time.
The RiverSmart Program Assistant supports the Alliance’s DC office staff with the implementation of RiverSmart programs. Assigned duties may include:
Typical Duties of the Position:
- Review landscaping installation paperwork and perform inspections of qualifying landscaping practices.
- Process invoices and coordinate landscaping project close-outs.
- Provide support to homeowners and contractors through timely communication.
- Plan and coordinate contractor trainings.
- Conduct education and outreach for RiverSmart participants.
- Develop maintenance-related resources and promote RiverSmart Maintenance Assistance program.
- Analyze and track project data within an online database and other hosting platforms.
- Manage supplies and inventory across multiple locations.
- Seek out funding for grant opportunities as available.
- Develop and deliver presentations and workshops to the general public.
- Provide additional office support as needed.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or two years relatable experience.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Ability to work in the field, comfortable working outdoors and sometimes lifting heavy objects.
- Effective writing and other communication skills.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Forward-thinking and anticipatory of future needs.
- Experienced with computers and online data entry.
- Desire and ability to work independently or as part of a team in a self-directed, small-office environment and to manage priorities and meet deadlines especially during times of peak activity.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Preferred Expertise, Interests, and Skills:
- Conservation landscape experience or knowledge.
- Understanding of DC native plants and identification.
- Understanding of stormwater issues.
- Event management experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Dropbox, and Google Drive.
- Experience creating pamphlets or other education outreach materials.
- Understanding of basic invoicing and project budgeting.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The RiverSmart Program Assistant will report directly to the RiverSmart Homes Senior Program Manager.
Hours and Location: The RiverSmart Program Assistant is a full time (40 hours per week) position based at the Alliance’s Washington, DC office. Travel throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed is occasionally required. Night and weekend work sometimes required.
Salary: $42,000+, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits are available.
Application: Please email your cover letter, résumé, and list of 2 references to email@example.com no later than Tuesday, February 18 2020. Indicate “RiverSmart Program Assistant” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.